• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paint for rabbit run

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
I know this has probably been asked many times before, but couldn't find the thread. My boyfriend is going to make Flo a nice big run for the garden. I would be grateful if anyone could let me know of recommended paint we could use for it that wont affect her health.
Also, is it OK that the run is on the grass, and for her to eat this? As I'm sure I read somewhere (don't know where) that rabbits can't eat grass? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx x.

I noticed that Pets at Home were selling some hutch paint/stain the other day so presumably this is suitable for use. When we did ours, were just used Cuprinol woodstain and never seem to have had any problems, even though the wood has been chewed!

Regarding the grass, they will nibble at it, but this is just natural!:)

Hi there.

Someone on here recommended B&Q's own brand - worked out nice and cheap.

The container says something like pet safe when dry (dries very quickly).

We've used it on the outside of the hutch and all the bars of the run, putting the mesh on the inside to prevent chewing (just to be doubly sure) and using a staple gun to seal down the ends so that's there's no sharp bits.

Wickes own brand is also animal friendsly, if you add a little cooking oil to it and mix well it improves how waterproof it is, the rain just runs off it.

Bunny Playhouse

I have seen a nice playhouse on ebay,it is a childs wooden one with a green flower decoration on it.Does anyone have this one?Is it good,and is £85 a good price second hand??? :):)

I used Cupinol Heritage Garden Shades - Thyme - lovely pale green colour! Painted on really nicely and looks lovely! You need two coats and it says "harmless to animals" on the tin. Can't comment on how good / long it lasts as I only painted it a while ago!

Hannah

Thanks for your advice guys. I will pass it on to my fella and hopefully he can start building it soon and we can get Flo outdoors to play!
Thanks again x.

Back