• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting and Food...!

xx-lou-xx

Young Bun
Just 2 quick questions Charlie is 5 months old today :) ... and at the moment I am feeding him Excel Junior Nuggets, when should i switch over to adult ?
Also he is moulting at the mo, is this is thicker winter coat coming through ?
Thanks!

Where are you? Mine are shedding their thick winter coats at the mo, as spring is here.
Somewhere on the food packaging there should be advice such as - suitable for rabbits up to the age of..... etc. This might give you an idea of when to switch over. :)

in the South East, its horrible weather here!cold wet windy and miserable!
I was just wondering as he's young whether he was losing his "baby fur" as it's not a very thick moult?I've had a look on the bad but it didnt seem to say?

Hmmm, maybe. They will shed at this time of year anyway, I'm in the South East too, being in Essex. Nigel shed his baby fur and started to look a little odd, like his fur was in 'steps'. he ended up with a kind of saddle shape as it shed in stages, with the more coarse fur coming through. Just keep grooming him I guess.
As for the food, I can't say really as I have 3 of different ages and fed them all the same stuff. Excel do a junior and dwarf pellet, which seems to suggest it's suitable for adults too, so it can't hurt to keep on with the junior for a little while longer.

That's the same as Charlie, has a nice saddle across his back now...:lol: bless! I'm feeding the junior and dwarf nuggets and he's a dutch so not one of the larger breeds anyway! But il do some more research!

Im ashamed to say I have no idea what breeds mine are..... I got Nigel as a giant lop, Doris as a 'normal' rabbit, and Dougal as a dwarf (I only know that because he has a button nose and he's little!)
I guess I'll have to post pics and get them identified :lol:

Where did you get them from? Post some pics and i'll have a go at identifying them... not sure il be any good though :lol: someone else might be able to though!

Nigel I'm ashamed to say I bought from P@H. I went in and out for weeks and he was there in the little tank they have, all on his own as they only keep one giant in at a time - so I couldn't stand it anymore and gave in.....

Dougal was a rehome from someone who didn't have time to look after him, and Doris was from a litter that needed rehoming from an accidental pregnancy.

I just have to figure out how to post pics....

aah ryt! theres a tutorial on here somewhere to tell you how to do it!...on the FAQ section ? you have to upload them on to photobucket

Ok here goes...

Nigel...
nigel2.jpg

bignigel.jpg

Dougal
bigdougal.jpg

Doris
bigdoris.jpg

well i can tell you for certain that they're all lovely!:)

buuut i don't know which breeds they are...im guessing cross breeds of some sort.. but not so sure :S!
sorry!!

:lol: Thanks :)

All I know for sure about Nigel is that he's not a Flemish, or he'd be bigger, other than that I'm stumped. I don't mind if he's a Heinz bunny though - I still love him, despite his bad temper sometimes! :D

Nigel looks like a German or a French Lop
Dougal looks like a Dwarf Lop
And Doris looks like a standard cross-breed, straight-eared.

My girls are 7 months old and they have been moulting since I got them in September. I think it was partly them losing their baby fur and partly gaining their winter coat. Now, they are losing the winter coat. :lol: I have fed my girls less and less ever since I got them. Started feeding them ab-lib, and now they are on 40g of pellets split into two meals, between them, so they get about 20g a day each.

Back