• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vetinary meds?!??

RusselRocky

Mama Doe
I have a question, with regards to Lucy's leg amputation, last time he gave her a steroidal injection to last her until Tuesday (operation day) now he may do this again (or may not due to the steroids in it) but even if he does would it be possible to purchase from them extra painkillers, anti-inflamitories, and something to get her gut moving quicker (dont know what)????? I would rather have something in case she looks uncomfortable... Any advice on things I should ask from the vet appreciated!?:shock:

he should give you a pain relief to administer anyway. you should never administer something without first consulting your vet.

x

I wasnt thinking of administering without consulting my vet about it I just really wondered if there is anything in paticular I should ask for. Sorry if I didnt make that clear! :wave:

aslong as your vet is rabbit savvy, i would be confident that he/she will advise the best for your rabbit.

im not one to step on my vets toes x

No bit I was concerned I wasnt given anything to administer from Friday to Tuesday to be honest, he is a very good surgeon but that is mainly what he does the vet nurses generally tell me the correct procedures and things to do.

I find metacam for pain and zantac to help the guts are the easiest things to ask for as they are administered orally and it is hard to over dose. Hope this helps

I dont think more steroids would be a good idea as they impact on Bun's immune system. Vet should give Metoclopromide ( gut motility stimulant) after the operation ( do ask him/her if this will be the case). Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory and that is all Harry needed after his amputaion. I was given Vetergesic, an opiate, to give him if necessary but he really didnt need anything 'stronger' than Metacam. Your Bun should be prescribed antibiotics to be given daily until the sutures are removed from the surgical wound. So giving a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis would be a good idea

Janex :)

Thank you Jane. Now I know what I should be asking for!! Also is there anything I should ask for stocks of whilst I am there??

Thank you Jane. Now I know what I should be asking for!! Also is there anything I should ask for stocks of whilst I am there??

Just the prescribed course of antibiotics/pain relief and some Bio Lapis.
Some Critical Care/Science Recovery for syringe feeding ( plus 1ml syringes) just incase Lucy is slow to eat for herself. Harry certainly wasnt !! :roll:

Just the prescribed course of antibiotics/pain relief and some Bio Lapis.
Some Critical Care/Science Recovery for syringe feeding ( plus 1ml syringes) just incase Lucy is slow to eat for herself. Harry certainly wasnt !! :roll:

I am hoping she wont have a problem I found a strange way of making her eat after her X-rays as she wasnt munching... So I syringe fed her some pear and banana baby food and she munched her dinner up after that!! It made her Poop!! :shock::shock: So I shouldnt have anything in my first aid kit in case of emergency!? Sorry I am needing help when it comes to meds I am unsure!! :D So thank you Jane xx

Most of the drugs mentioned are POMs so the vet will only prescribe what you need at the time for the rabbit concerned as each rabbit must be seen by a vet for each illness, so they dont tend to allow the average pet owner to build up 'stocks'.

Most of the drugs mentioned are POMs so the vet will only prescribe what you need at the time for the rabbit concerned as each rabbit must be seen by a vet for each illness, so they dont tend to allow the average pet owner to build up 'stocks'.

Yes I had a feeling that would be the case. I was thinking about things for gut stasis and things? Just coz I will be there for a while tomorrow so... I am going to give them a phone tomorrow to let the vet know how she is doing though. I am nervous. Which is probably why I am being over protective!! :shock::oops::rolleyes:

Yes I had a feeling that would be the case. I was thinking about things for gut stasis and things? Just coz I will be there for a while tomorrow so... I am going to give them a phone tomorrow to let the vet know how she is doing though. I am nervous. Which is probably why I am being over protective!! :shock::oops::rolleyes:

Metaclopromide, Metacam, Zantac and Vetergesic are all Prescription Only.
Infacol, Biolapis, Fiberplex, Science Recovery and Critical Care are not.

Back