• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crate advice please

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Bailey is living in a 36inch dog crate with free range when hme, and time in a run outside in summer...

is this sufficient for him?

he is a single bun, and will be remaining as a house bun (unless he bonds in summer with moo and then he will move out)

its not feasable for him to be freerange all the time im afraid x

4-6 hours during the day, and then locked up all night from midnight when we go to bed...

once im home, he is let out immediatly. or if nick is home earlier, he lets him out x

Hmmm I have a 42 inch crate, and I don't think I'd like to shut my buns in it over night, thats when mine are most active. Can you attach a pen to it? I used to do this before mine had the run of their own room.

I guess it depends on how he reacts to it and what is practical for the space you have?

we will put a pen on it during the night...

hes not house trained enough to be out on his own for long periods x

I think with a pen attached it would be fine, just to give him a little more space at night really. I gradually gave mine more space which helped train them I think as they still recognised the cage as their base.

I'd say that's too long to be in a 36 inch crate, it's pretty similar to being shut in a 3ft hutch for over 12 hours a day. How much physical space have you got, could you join another crate onto it or get some run panels and some kind of plastic base if the toileting is a problem. Is he neutered?

its not the toileting that bothers me as he is toilet trained...

I am going to add some pen panels for one a night/day when we are not here.

Back