• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this moult?

Kipper

Mama Doe
Ive just lightly touched my Mums rex bun & his fur litterally flew off his back! Hes also lost some fur from around his eye. The vet told her he didnt know what was wrong, Mum thought it was ringworm. Could it be mites? None of her other rabbits are affected Any suggestions?

Could be mites? I've had other animals with them but not rabbits, and they show those symptoms. A shed shouldn't leave bald patches as far as I'm aware. Mine moult like mad, I could make another rabbit out of what I pull out of Nigel, but his fur never seems to thin.

Take him to the vet? They will probably know. They can treat with mite drops or injection. The stuff bought from petshops I've found to be next to useless.

THey need to break the breeding cycle. Did the vet say to bring him back again? When I had mice with them, they needed 2 doses approx 2 weeks apart to kill the adults and the next generation as they hatched a up to a fortnight later.

They should stop biting/burrowing within a few hours, although he may get itchy as they die.

Could be mites? I've had other animals with them but not rabbits, and they show those symptoms. A shed shouldn't leave bald patches as far as I'm aware. Mine moult like mad, I could make another rabbit out of what I pull out of Nigel, but his fur never seems to thin.

Take him to the vet? They will probably know. They can treat with mite drops or injection. The stuff bought from petshops I've found to be next to useless.

My rex developed a bald patch on her head which I thought might be mites or ringworm though the skin looked healthy. A skin scrape was done which came back negative, so we assumed it was just the start of a peculiar moult. She started shedding properly about a week later. Here's a pic.:
DSC01887.jpg

And the moult in full shedding mode!
DSC01991-1.jpg

Here's how much hair came from her back in one grooming session:shock:
DSC01990.jpg

"My rex developed a bald patch on her head which I thought might be mites or ringworm though the skin looked healthy. A skin scrape was done which came back negative, so we assumed it was just the start of a peculiar moult. She started shedding properly about a week later." <--- my quote thing went wrong :lol:

I've never had rex rabbit's so I'm not familiar with their shed patterns, it seems very drastic though!!
I have a Cornish rex cat, and he doesn't do that, although my mother-in-law has Devon rexes, and I know that they can go partially bald during moult.

If the vet treated though, it may be that they suspect mites. (?)

Back