• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

O/H not keen on neutering (of bun!) -- updated!

applebed

Alpha Buck
My O/H is really not pro-neutering, especially as the breeder we got Thor from said it wasn't necessary. However I eventually want to get him a girlybun to keep him company (will be moving house in July so will be waiting 'til then), so not neutering is really out of the question. It is pretty much on the cards, but I'm looking for ways to make it seem more acceptable to him....

O/H suggested getting him a vasectomy(!) but I told him that
a) having no plums promotes harmonious gf relations (he didn't like that) and
b) will have the added benefit of making him a tidier poo machine

haven't yet mentioned it will lead to a less stressful and longer life too, and maybe make him happier about being handled.

I don't mind Thor leaving his territorial poos, just means a bit of extra sweeping and hoovering, but O/H is a bit persnickety about it. I thought that would be a good angle to sell it to him but apparently he still feels sorry for him!

What is so awful about a bun with no plums? Are there any more benefits I've missed out?

Last edited:
There is a risk of testicular cancer, no where near as high risk as uterine but still...

I think you've mentioned the important benefits. I did feel really bad when we got our first boy neutered! It does seem at first a bit of a horrid thing to do! But we've had so many done now its really run off the mill and the boys have all recovered really well and quickly straight after.
I try and look at it as think of the frustration they must have constantly!! :shock::oops::lol:
It'd be better for them to just not have the urge rather than having the urge and being unable to satisfy it!! :lol:
Though obviously there's the health benefits: no testicular cancer, cleanliness: no spraying or territorial marking, emotional: he'd be able to have a girlfriend which will give him bunny company :love: without being frustrated or having lots of baby buns!
Whe you see him cuddled up with a new lady friend i think thats what makes it all worth it. It really is magic! :love:

Have you asked why he is against it? It could just be a male pride thing, men can be seriously funny about having an animals 'manhood' removed!:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Is Thor your rabbit of shared? If hes yours, he doesn't really have a say in the matter

His wee won't smell so bad after neutering. I think that having the chance to have another bunny live with him will make him so happy. It won't change his personality and he'll still be a male bunny!
I don't know why men get so upset about it, it's not like you're asking him to have a vasectomy is it?! ;):lol::lol:

Have you asked why he is against it? It could just be a male pride thing, men can be seriously funny about having an animals 'manhood' removed!:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Is Thor your rabbit of shared? If hes yours, he doesn't really have a say in the matter
It is manpride! He was all, "Well I wouldn't want it to happen to me! I'd be annoyed if I woke up with no knackers! They allow me to have fun times!" He even suggested prosthetic implants, which are the silliest thing I've ever heard of, I know they're available for dogs but they won the 'Ig Nobel' prize for a reason!

He's a medic so you'd think he'd be more rational about it, but there we go!

I know it's really what's best for Thor and it's going to happen, but I still don't see how I can sell the idea to him... are there any men about who could advise?

They don't remove the whole of the testicles, i saw Hobbes were still there after he had been neutered. The inside bits are removed but they still have two furry balls left there! :oops::oops::oops: I think they shrivel up after the op but there's no need to tell your boyfriend that!
Ask your boyfriend if he'd prefer to not be allowed to have a girlfriend and remain sexually frustrated for the rest of his life or have a vasectomy and then be allowed to have a girlfriend? ;):lol:

Last edited:
Ask your bf how he would feel if for the rest of his life he had to live in a cage and he wanted to bonk every thing in sight and have the equiptment to do it but never being able to

Last edited:
It is manpride! He was all, "Well I wouldn't want it to happen to me! I'd be annoyed if I woke up with no knackers! They allow me to have fun times!" He even suggested prosthetic implants, which are the silliest thing I've ever heard of, I know they're available for dogs but they won the 'Ig Nobel' prize for a reason!

He's a medic so you'd think he'd be more rational about it, but there we go!

I know it's really what's best for Thor and it's going to happen, but I still don't see how I can sell the idea to him... are there any men about who could advise?

wow that's really silly. no offence like ;) but point out to him that a rabbit is NOT a human and retaining his bits WON'T allow him to have "fun times" they will just make him ill and miserable and difficult to look after. good luck :lol:

I've read that they do a chemical castration in America, can't you tell him he's going in for that? :D

I mentioned just now that Thor bit me when I was cleaning up his cage this morning and he said, "ok, he can say goodbye to his testicles then."

I think he's just not going to like it but will come to accept it, especially when (hopefully) we see him happy with a girlfriend!

The upshot of this thread is that men are weird!!

I know you can get "neutricals" for dogs, in other words prosthetic plums so they won't lose their pride after the snip!:lol:

If my other half was against it, I'd just do it in secret. But fortunately he was all for it (mainly because when we've had whole bucks they try to woo me and mark me!), once the bucks were neutered they paid more attention to playing silly games with him than trying to seduce me.:roll:

Back