• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What I overheard today : (

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
So I was in Hobbycraft earlier and was in the queue at the till. There were some little bunny teddys on a shelf, a young girl, about 4 years old and her mother were behind me. The little girl picked up a bunny and asked if she could have one, the mother replied "Put it back, besides you have a REAL one of those at home that you never play with" :( The woman actually looked at me and rolled her eyes as she said it, I just stared at her blankly and turned away :?

Another story of the bunny bought for a child thinking that a cute rabbit would make an ideal pet for her :?

I wanted to say something soooo badly.... but felt it would have been really rude considering I was actually eavesdropping :? Plus, what was I going to say?! "I couldn't help but overhear you were stupid enough to buy your toddler a rabbit!" :rolleyes: :lol:

The chances are the rabbit is well cared for, but you can't help but imagine otherwise :(

Anyone else overhead something similar but felt you couldn't say anything because you weren't in a petshop etc??

I was at a garden centre last summer looking at the bunnies and this chavvy couple with a baby and toddler were telling the toddler to "hurry up FFS and choose a b**** rabbit":evil::evil: I started talking to the women and told her I thought she was being very brave in view of the fact that rabbits were so difficult to look after being as they were prone to digestive problems if you didn't know what you were doing etc, and how extortionate vet bills were, and even if she bought insurance she could still land up with massive vet bills. The I told her that unless she paid up to £120 on neutering(Ok a bit of poetic license there, but I was desperate :shock:) the bun she'd end up with a bunny that was so aggressive that no-one could touch it! Then I stated to describe the sate of my hands when I had to go out every day in the freezing cold and rain of winter to clean mine out.... Her hubby looked shell shocked and said "we're not paying good money for one of those little b******* then" and dragged them all away. Job done! :lol:

I was at a garden centre last summer looking at the bunnies and this chavvy couple with a baby and toddler were telling the toddler to "hurry up FFS and choose a b**** rabbit":evil::evil: I started talking to the women and told her I thought she was being very brave in view of the fact that rabbits were so difficult to look after being as they were prone to digestive problems if you didn't know what you were doing etc, and how extortionate vet bills were, and even if she bought insurance she could still land up with massive vet bills. The I told her that unless she paid up to £120 on neutering(Ok a bit of poetic license there, but I was desperate :shock:) the bun she'd end up with a bunny that was so aggressive that no-one could touch it! Then I stated to describe the sate of my hands when I had to go out every day in the freezing cold and rain of winter to clean mine out.... Her hubby looked shell shocked and said "we're not paying good money for one of those little b******* then" and dragged them all away. Job done! :lol:
:lol::lol: Brilliant Hilda, well done. Hopefully they will spread the word.

I don't think I would have been that brave.

I was in P@H waiting for O/H and as I was watching the Bunnies (well looked after ones I may add) a young couple were watching them as well and the female of the relationship was "OOO look how cute that bun is etc etc" (there was only two there and they were OBVIOUSLY BONDED!! So I turned round as they were arguing whether or not to buy this bun wth a Nero 2 (TINY) and said "They are a bonded pair so you should really buy them together and I would get at least a Nero 4 and they will probably outgrow that soon too" they looked at me and stalked off... The 2 were sold a while later!! :)

I was in PAH a couple of years ago and overheard one of the staff telling a man and his kid who were in process of buying a rat that it was ok to keep the rat on his own and that it was ok to feed the rat pizza, chips and beefburgers :evil::evil: :(:( I often wonder what happened to that little rat. I'd like to think the people went away and did some research on how to keep and feed rats...... I would like to think that :roll:

That is just brilliant! Well done you. A little bunny life of misery avoided.:wave:

I was in PAH a couple of years ago and overheard one of the staff telling a man and his kid who were in process of buying a rat that it was ok to keep the rat on his own and that it was ok to feed the rat pizza, chips and beefburgers :evil::evil: :(:( I often wonder what happened to that little rat. I'd like to think the people went away and did some research on how to keep and feed rats...... I would like to think that :roll:

Well, things move on and one would hope that sort of thing would never be said now.

Having said that, I do have to bite my tongue when talking to people about rats. I have 4 and they have stomaches of steel and will eat anything that they can steal out of the bin!! :)

Well, things move on and one would hope that sort of thing would never be said now.

Having said that, I do have to bite my tongue when talking to people about rats. I have 4 and they have stomaches of steel and will eat anything that they can steal out of the bin!! :)

I have 16 of the little furry bundles and mine are just the same :lol::lol::lol: Being one of natures natural scavengers its not surprising that they will eat anything from rabbit food to take away indian curry ;) - if they were allowed to. A few ' unhealthy ' titbits now and again never do any harm I think, so long as they are fed mainly a helathy balanced ratty diet.

We have a local gardenstore/petshop that seels them and they have a big notice above the cage saying somthing along the lines of "A rabbit is a 10 year commitment. They are aren't an easy pet to have and need regular cleaning out, vacinations" etc etc etc. Hopefully the 10 year bit will put most short term punters off.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol: Thats fantastic :lol:

Well done Hilda :D

I usually say something if I hear people talking about rabbits no matter where I am :lol: I was in the supermarket last week when it started raining and the lady in front of me was like :censored: the rabbits are in the run and I forgot to put a cover over it, I was like aww I have rabbits and started talking to her, hers sounded well looked after but ive heard people say not very nice things about their pet rabbits and been like hey! :oops: :lol:

Im banned from a pet shop :oops: :oops: :oops:

We have a local gardenstore/petshop that seels them and they have a big notice above the cage saying somthing along the lines of "A rabbit is a 10 year commitment. They are aren't an easy pet to have and need regular cleaning out, vacinations" etc etc etc. Hopefully the 10 year bit will put most short term punters off.[/QUOTE
I think I posted way back in the Summer about a woman who was looking at the buns in (The same!!) garden centre and she said she was looking for a rabbit to fill in for a couple of years till her kids were old enough to get a puppy! What is it about that place..full of idiots! I often lurk and drop bits of info whenever I can. I'm not in a position to do much else like all the rescues here, but feel we can do our bit by spreading the word. I'm not always that brave..it's just if I get my dander up!!!

Back