• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

treid to clip claws help am i doing it right?

bunlover

Warren Veteran
ok brought snowy and dora into the house which they are used to and sat the normally affectionate and licky(in fact until today iv never been bitten by her) snowy onto my lap on the sofa. i then tried to hold her gently and hold her paw and clip her claws which are edging on long now and could really do with being done. she is a white bunny so i felt confident in not cutting the quick....except that she decided to wriggle the more firmly i held the more she wriggled until she eventually nipped me (didnt draw blood) then hopped off the sofa to see dora. well ok then i thought give her 10mins and try again.... so ten mins later tried again she wriggled and nipped me again she decided she wasnt haveing any of it.....soo is there any way to keep her calm and do this without getting her stressed or should i just get a vet to do it? dora will sit still when you hold her but i wanted to try snowy first as dora has black nails so its harder to see the blood supply.

I have to either put mine on their back to clip their nails or get OH to hold them against his chest while I do it, no way they would let me otherwise.

If you are too worried ask your vet nurse, mine will do them for free.

You're not alone! I'm happy to syringe feed and am even willing to do an injection if the vet shows me how, but there's just something about nail cutting:shock: I can do it but tend to get leanne to do it for me or ask the vet to do it during a check-up. When I have to do it myself I stand at a table with the bunster facing away from me and tip her back so that her back feet are off the table and do the front feet. For the back ones I get rog to hold the rabbit in that position while I do the clipping. Floss and Bournville have black nail so I just take the very points off becasue I misjudged it once and Bournville bled like a stuck pig! Mind you, Kevin(vet) did Floss's the last time and took one too short and made her bleed..it happens:)

Last edited:
There's no way Mimi will sit for me to do this! Just yesterday we took her and a vet tech cut them. Mimi sat like a little cherub on her lap the entire time :shock: :?

thankyou i will see if a vet nurse will do them for me if not think will take to vet.might have one more go myself when oh gets home but otherwise it maybe time to let a professional do it!!

How long is too long? It's difficult to tell because they have quite flat claws, not curved like other animals. Nigel has quite thick claws too, so I'm not sure how long they are supposed to be for his size?

If the nails are white you can see the blood vessel in the quick, so just make sure you don't cut into the quick. If the nails are too dark to see the quick and blood vessel then shine a light behind the nail so that you can see it and know how far back to clip them

Just cut them back so that they aren't poking out of the fur on their feet. Poppy is really difficult , it often takes a few attempts to pin her down and clip them all, even checking them is made difficult when it comes to her, little madam. I usually pin them down whilst kneeling and push their shoulders down gently, if they struggle I let them go and then try again in 5 or 10 minutes or the following day if they are being particularly stubborn.

Back