• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm after a female bunny - can anyone help at all or give advice?

madaboutbuns

Young Bun
Hiya everyone

I got Johnny via Cheryl (is she still on this list?) at her rescue centre in Norwich in December 2005, we ended up meeting on the M25 so I could take Johnny! She posted his details on this group, and I happened to pick up on it a few weeks later, and adopted him from Cheryl!

Anyway sadly Johnny's initial girlfriend Thomas died a year later :cry: (she had spondylitis - lost use of her front legs....), then a few weeks later I got him another girlfriend and sadly a fox got her which I was devastated about as you can imagine :cry:, then after a few months I adopted another female for him from the RSPCA, who had major dental problems which the RSPCA's vet didn't pick up on - but my vet did. Maybe some of you have heard of her story on UKCR? She really loved Johnny and would follow him around everywhere! Anyway, I came downstairs one morning and she had just collapsed in her litterbox - I rushed her off to the vet at 6.30 in the morning and they spent 3/4 of an hour trying to save her - but she had had enough and was helped on her way - this was early February :cry:

So yet again, Johnny is on his own - he is lonely, I can tell - he is a free-range houserabbit living in our lounge with us and part of me is thinking is it right to get him yet another girlfriend, or just to leave him?

Johnny has had headtilt in the past, which has been treated successfully. His EC levels in his blood and urine are so low he doesn't need rechecking which is great! His personality has changed a bit since getting headtilt, he isn't as cheeky and laidback as he used to be, it's almost like the EC has aged him - he is about 3 1/2 now. I think he would probably prefer a mature laid back female, rather than a lively youngster girl!

So what do you think I should do - get him a girlfriend or leave him on his own? And if I do get a girlfriend for him, does anyone here have any females that would want a nice calm boyfriend to spend their life with? I've had rabbits for 12 years now, and have adopted from Bracknell Rabbit Rescue, Hounslow Animal Welfare, and the RSPCA (although I'm not going back to them). Ooh forgot to say I live in Swindon, Wiltshire.

I have two other buns who are in another room, and the girl there hates Johnny so no chance with bonding them as a threesome!! :lol:

Christine

Oh what bad luck poor Johnny has had.
Our rescue is way out of our area, but good luck in finding him a new girlfriend.

What a sad story, poor Johnny. I personally would get him another wifey. I'm sure someone will be long who can advise on rescues near to you.

I live in Wiltshire, not Hampshire..... and have checked with the Rabbit Rehome site - there are none local to me....

Last edited:
oh sorry i thought that would be the closest to you :cry:thought you were asking for help and that was what i was trying to do:cry:

Hiya - I know you were offering advice, I appreciate that! :)

I guess I was hoping that with posting on here there would be someone out there a bit more local to me or a bunny-run could be organised for a particular needy female bunny somewhere! Which is how I got Johnny!

I'm not sure that a rescue in Hampshire would let me adopt anyway, due to me being too far away. I've worked for a rescue before, and we always did homechecks and it had to be in the local area.

I know there is a rescue in Gloucestershire, which is a bit closer to me I think, I might just email them to see what they think.

Christine

You can get someone local to you to do a homecheck and organise a bunny run, most rescues on here are happy with that. Everyone is so lovely on here im sure a bunny run for the right rabbit could be organised :) Theres 18 buns just been rescued by the rspca on the buns in need section maybe have a look there? Your local rspca could homecheck you then x

Hiya

I had a homecheck done from the RSPCA last year and passed with flying colours - I adopted Johnny's last partner from them - and she had terrible teeth which their vet didn't pick up on - my vet did, and it ended up with me complaining to the RSPCA, and them paying for a couple of operations to sort out Bambi's teeth - mmmm I wonder if they would be happy for me to adopt from them again seeing the trouble I caused them last time?!!

Christine

If you're worried the local RSPCA will give you a frosty reception, maybe you could go to Bristol to pick up a new wife for him? :lol: On the search engine there's a mini lop girl called Himi who needs a home... and if they didn't get on you could take him to Cribbs Causeway on a lead for some retail therapy (j/k!)

BTW I'm originally from Swindon, I grew up in Freshbrook!

Hi.. was Johnny the one who had snuffles?? a multi-coloured lop?
I am so sorry you and Johnny have had some a tough time with female bunnies.. how very sad. I hope you can find him a girlfriend again

Well, this is my second attempt at posting! I'm so fed up with typing here!!!! :lol:

Just to let those of you who are interested I have now adopted a sweetie female called Twinkle from Teresa (touie).

We have had several chats via email since my message to the group and the weekend before last we met up at a place which we could both get too and I took on Twinkle...

Well... I put them together Sunday just gone, and Twinkle (bless her) just went for Johnny's bottom all the time - which he didn't really appreciate... so she needs to learn some manners - that is to leave boys bottoms alone...... :lol:

However, they are now together in my lounge in a penned off area and once I know they are 100% bonded then I'll let them have free range of my house.

No fighting at all, just Twinkle checking out Johnny's bottom.....

Best get this sent before it ends up being deleted....

Christine

Back