• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is zola fat??

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
i was plucking Zola's fur yesterday around his tail and felt a flap of skin over his back leg, almost like a roll of fat! he has these on both sides above his back legs.

i cant check on wispa because she wont let us touch her there let alone grab bits of skin!!!

zola doesnt have a dewlap and you can still feel his bones on his back so i dont think he's fat but what are these flaps!!!

Its hard to tell without seeing him, what breed and size is he? Is he esting his ceacotrophs? Does he have a messy bum ever? Can you weigh him? How much do you feed him?

Sorry for all the questiions :oops:

EDIT - the three bunnies at the bowl in my siggy were FAT! They have been on a diet now and are much better.

EDIT 2 - Fat bunnies gone changed sig :oops:

Last edited:
I have Frenchies, too :D:D. How old is Zola ? Young Frenchies have loose fur/skin that they grow into. They are usually fully grown at 12 - 14 months and their skulls have stopped growing by 18 months. Lucius is 11 months and he still has some loose fur/skin around his bum and abdomen.

I have Frenchies, too :D:D. How old is Zola ? Young Frenchies have loose fur/skin that they grow into. They are usually fully grown at 12 - 14 months and their skulls have stopped growing by 18 months. Lucius is 11 months and he still has some loose fur/skin around his bum and abdomen. Do you know how much Zola weighs ?

he is 9 months old and weighs 5.4kg. he eats all his cecals. he has pellets (supa excel junior x pets at home nuggets) avaliable all the time and a bowl of veg in the evenings. he eats a lot of hay

he is 9 months old and weighs 5.4kg. he eats all his cecals. he has pellets (supa excel junior x pets at home nuggets) avaliable all the time and a bowl of veg in the evenings. he eats a lot of hay

5.4kg sounds heavy but i don't know his breed :? I will say though that i used to leave pellets down all the time and now i just give them a handful each in the morning, hay all day and night and a bowl of veggies in the evening. Naybe cut down the pellets ?

Mine were weighed at the vets the other day as the practice was doing free rabbit checks this month. The nurse said that rabbits hold fat around their tummies. She felt their tums to see if they were overweight. Both of mine were just fine, but if any heavier would be getting on the heavy path.

They can have folds without out being over weight but on the other hand they could be from too much weight. It's really hard to tell without feeling the rest of the bun.

I would swap to the standard (or even better lite) version of the pellets tho. The dwarf is very high in protein.

Tam

i got told by a rescue to put them on supa excel junior because they were a little scrawny and was told to leave them till 12 months.

he doesnt have any folds anywhere else

He is still growing at 9 months, albeit not the rapid growth rate you probably noticed when he was around the 3-6 months mark. I always feed my young Frenchies unlimited nuggets till they reach 12 months. He should be ok to just feed PAH nuggets now as his growth rate is slowing. How much do you actually feed them quantity wise ? Does he eat all his dry food or is there any left in the bowl at mealtimes ? I'm assuming that they both get fed together ? He sounds like a healthy weight to me

Without seeing him its difficult to say what the folds are over his legs .. it does sound like loose skin, but I wouldn't want to give you false advice. All I can say is that Lucis has similar folds, which are just ' growing into ' folds ( thats what I call them :oops: ). Your buns are stunning by the way :love:

He is still growing at 9 months, albeit not the rapid growth rate you probably noticed when he was around the 3-6 months mark. I always feed my young Frenchies unlimited nuggets till they reach 12 months. He should be ok to just feed PAH nuggets now as his growth rate is slowing. How much do you actually feed them quantity wise ? Does he eat all his dry food or is there any left in the bowl at mealtimes ? I'm assuming that they both get fed together ? He sounds like a healthy weight to me

Without seeing him its difficult to say what the folds are over his legs .. it does sound like loose skin, but I wouldn't want to give you false advice. All I can say is that Lucis has similar folds, which are just ' growing into ' folds ( thats what I call them :oops: ). Your buns are stunning by the way :love:

wispa was scrawnier so it was easiest to keep them on the same food, she is 7 months but i was going to change the food when zola was 13 months (wispa will be 11 months) she now has a nice shape but a teeny head!!!! i think i shall move them onto normal excel when there food runs out.

i am going to keep an eye on zolas weight and search for rolls of fat regularly

Back