• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can't find an answer to this panacur question...

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
will i be able to find Panacur fairly easily in a good pet supply shop tomorrow? (i know of at least 2 near me, not incl. p@h) i'm not keen on internet shopping (when i want to buy something, i want it NOW! lol) and i think i spied the evil pinworm this evening. there's been frantic scrubbing with bleach and all sorts and much poo inspecting.

i know it's become over the counter and just wondered if it's easily available. are there any other precautions i should take during treatment in regards to his litter tray, bed, etc?

Sorry, no it isn't available in any pet shops that I know of. It is sold mail order to vets etc, but individuals can buy it too.

will i be able to find Panacur fairly easily in a good pet supply shop tomorrow? (i know of at least 2 near me, not incl. p@h) i'm not keen on internet shopping (when i want to buy something, i want it NOW! lol) and i think i spied the evil pinworm this evening. there's been frantic scrubbing with bleach and all sorts and much poo inspecting.

i know it's become over the counter and just wondered if it's easily available. are there any other precautions i should take during treatment in regards to his litter tray, bed, etc?

I work for PAH and as I've just become an E-SQP, I'm licensed to sell it and once everything is set up we will be selling Panacur. However, if you don't want to go into PAH, then I'd either stick to the vets or even try some of the supermarket pharmacies as they are training their people to prescribe and supply.

Little tip, instead of using the syringe, squirt it on a piece of cabbage and hand feed it to the bunnies.

Jeynes Fluid is the product which eradicates nasties from hutches - bit pongy but does the job.

Mine seem to like the taste of the paste, I put it on a biscuit treat thing and they eat it no problem, they've licked it off my fingers before too. :D If I use the liquid I just suck the right amount into the syringe and Charlie will lick it out the end of the syringe, I do find the paste easier though.

thanks for your replies, it's the vets first thing tomorrow for some of that lovely paste!

am i right in thinking some people do this 6 monthly and some do it 3 monthly? should i stick to every three months due to the fact i know that he's had a bout of the wrigglys?

What's an E-SQP?:)

It's an AMTRA (Animal Medicines Training Regulatory Authority) qualification Equine - Suitabley Qualified Person. Basically it means I can prescribe and dispense medicines previously only available through the vets, e.g Frontline, Drontal, Panacur, Equimax, Equitape etc (flea and worming products for cats, dogs, small animals and horses).

Went to a Uni in Shropshire for a week and had very intensive lessons followed by a base exam, companion animals exam, equine exam and then an oral exam. Really good and very, very interesting. Great to get the old grey matter going as it's been a long time since leaving school lol ;)

Back