• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house rabbit's and guinea pigs?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Those of you who have house rabbit's and piggies I was wondering if you keep them completely seperate or if you let them see each other. New piggy Naboo's home is in the computer room, one of my rabbit's Faline comes in if we're in there but I'm not sure if we should put a stop to this now?

Naboo is very interested in her, but other than looking at him she hasn't paid him much attention. Though she did do some marker poops outside his cage. The spacings on his bars are quite big and I don't want them to bite each other or anything. :lol:

I keep them completely separate. There is no reason why they should meet, and I don't want pasteurella being picked up by the guinea pigs.

At school almost all the animals are in one room.
The main room is split in half, on one side, birds, guinea pigs and chinchillas (yeah I realize it might be a bit annoying to keep birds in the same room with chinchillas...but they don't seem to mind, its a matter of habit), on the other side are the rabbits. (+one extra room with fishes, hamsters, degus, walking sticks and one spider) but the rabbits are sometimes roaming free, and they run over to the guinea pigs' pen. If you're sure neither aren't carrying any diseases that are dangerous for the other species then I don't see a problem. They never run free together and we keep an eye on the buns and no-ones shown any interest in jumping into the guinea pig pen (since I'm pretty sure they can, it has very low walls)
Haven't had any pigs myself...but my indoor rabbits sometimes share room with a hamster (said hamster has now died) but the hamster cage is on a table. I have let the hamster out in the ball alongside the rabbits though:roll: Aroma was horrified of the ball...Sasuke was curious at first but later just ignored the moving plastic ball:roll:

I keep them completely separate. There is no reason why they should meet, and I don't want pasteurella being picked up by the guinea pigs.

aha, I knew there was some thing that could be passed on but couldn't remember if I was imagining it. Looks like this room is out of bounds then. It's not a big loss to her, she only comes in now and then.

I've had guinea pigs and rabbits for years and they get on great together,especially when my rabbits bunny friend died and i couldn't handle getting another straight away.I have different animals and they all come and go in the same rooms all beit some are still caged at the time (the rats and rabbit would fight).My pets are all house animals although in the better weather they get out.They all get out of their homes to run about and play but i unfortunatley have to put them back in for safety reasons.My cables are all fixed so they can't chew.They all seem to have fun.My guinea pigs groom the rabbit and visa versa.It they are healthy and get on together i don't see the problem.

I've had guinea pigs and rabbits for years and they get on great together,especially when my rabbits bunny friend died and i couldn't handle getting another straight away.I have different animals and they all come and go in the same rooms all beit some are still caged at the time (the rats and rabbit would fight).My pets are all house animals although in the better weather they get out.They all get out of their homes to run about and play but i unfortunatley have to put them back in for safety reasons.My cables are all fixed so they can't chew.They all seem to have fun.My guinea pigs groom the rabbit and visa versa.It they are healthy and get on together i don't see the problem.

One accidental kick from a rabbit could serioisly injure a guinea pig if it doesnt kill it...

My rabbits and piggies are in the same room but get excercised in different bits of the house. When piggies are in their cage and buns are out the buns are not interested in the slightest to be honest. They are just all in their own little world!

Back