• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3-legged bunnies... and vibes please!! U/D Piccies

RusselRocky

Mama Doe
Does anyone have a 3-legged bunny? Lucy jumped off me (I was kneeling on the floor and she was sitting on my knee it wasnt my fault and I feel terriby guilty so please dont post anything hurtful) last night and broke her leg, I have spent all this morning at the vets making some difficult decisions, it was apparently a freak accident as when she landed she must have twisted or binkied, a bone around her hip was also shifted. Now Ihad few choices she cannot have a pin put it in but her other leg isnt very strong so her broken leg has been strapped up by the vet and she is starting to move around on her other hind leg okay so far so she will be having an amputation on Tuesday :cry::cry::cry: but this morning he thought he was going to have to put her down so I have a little more hope!!!! What I am wondering is does anyone have a 3-legged bun and how do they cope? The vet told me they manage find but I would really like a personal experience... And vibes for Lucy if you can...?

Last edited:
Awwwww, that's so sad :( accidents happen, don't beat yourself up about it, i'm sure your bun will be fine, my friend has a 3 legged in at the mo, and is as lively as the rest. So i really wouldn't worry hun, until you have to, no point stressing if it's not neccessary. :(

Awwwww, big hugs your way but it is not your fault, these things happen. Sending lots of vibes your way

Sorry no experience with 3-legged bunnies but I'm sure they could adapt easily like most animals.

I don't have any experience of three legged buns but I have heard that they manage just fine. Don't beat yourself up about it though, accidents happen and you're doing everything you can for her now and that's what matters. Thinking of you and Lucy.x

i dont have a 3 legged bun but i am wishing Lucy lots of love and hope she will recover from this quickly and you musnt feel guilty,accidents happen

You'd be surprised to find out that I have had experience of a 3-legged rabbits as I used to have a gorgeous 3-legged Cali called Angel :) She coped well on her 3 legs. She had to have one of her front leg amputated when young and she had no problems getting around :)

I had a wonderful wonderful 3 legged bun (hind leg amputee) called Florence. She was GREAT. She could climb and jump and get around really fast - and that was DESPITE spedning the 18 months immediately after her op confined inside a small cage in the Blue Cross (they know better now). Make sure you have some kind of physio and lots os exercise once he is well again so the other muscles grow to compensate and also it is vital they don't put weight ion as this puts strain on the other legs.

Florence was with us for many years and was the most characterful bun I have ever had.

Vibes for the op!!

I currently have a three legged bunny, Cleo, she had to have a leg amputated following areally nasty infection.

You may be able to see (or not see) in this photo she has no right front leg, sorry its slightly out of focus. Cleo was only about a year old when her leg was amputated, she's now five and perfectly healthly. The only thing she can't do in go down a flight of stairs, although she manages to jump on and off my bed without any problems.

Cleo.jpg

awww what a freak accident - how awful for you :( Hope she'll be OK - I know the little bunny last week that broke his leg did really well in the end :)

Lots of HUGS , to you and your bun .KEEP STRONG , dont feel bad , I once had a bunny who broke his leg whilst playing in my care , and had to have his leg amputated.Everyone told us "Accidents happen , it wasnt your fault."So remember keep positive , I know how your feeling :).
Lots of love and hugs ,
From
Hannah xxx

BTW as one of the members linked , Harry was the bun we were looking after.

Last edited:
I rescued a bun who had her leg amputated because it was badly broken (strangley also named Lucy!!)
She's adapted REALLY well, she was a bit unsteady at first etc but now shes fine and dandy! :D shes startin to run again and gain confidence!
She was very sulky after her op and she wanted to just be left alone but im really shocked at how well she bounced back!

Thank you for all your kind words, I read the thread on Harry bless him!! I am just worrying in case she doesnt want to put weight on it (she also has some bruising) but so far so good!! Come on Lucy :love: :love:

I will try not to beat myself up too much just feeling guilty she has only been with me for 2 weeks :shock:

no matter how long she has been with you doesnt make it any less or any more your fault. when we spoke last night on msn, u were so worried and ive been thinking of her all day, i hope she makes a great recovery!!

xx

Thank you for all your kind thoughts a little update to say so far she is putting the weight on her good leg!! So I am really hoping she will continue doing so!! x

Kareen from Fife Rabbit Rescue has had a couple of three leggers going through her rescue lately. She currently has a baby that was born with only three or lost it soon after birth.

She had one called Bigwig who was thrown from a car and had to have his leg amputated. He has been rehomed with a lady who already has a rabbit called appropriately, Trio. She recently put a video up on the site and I couldn't believe how fast Trio could move. He was jumping up onto things and it was hard to believe he was a three leg.

Hope you are feeling better. These things happen and you will always blame yourself no matter what. It's because you care. xxx

Back