• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of adopting a House Bunny

Lindsay7

Young Bun
Hi

I am thinking of adopting a House Bunny i would be grateful if any info that you can give me.

I have two guinea pigs living inside at the moment so i have a guinea pig proofed house so would be ok with a Bunny living indoor.

I would like a boy are they any friendlier than girls?

Would a Rabbit 100 cage be ok? He would be able to get in and out as he pleases.

Are they easy to litter train?

Lots of questions so thanks in advance for any info you can give me

Lindsay

A cage that size would only be okay if he's not shut in at all. You need to check the heights on different brands too as some are taller than others. A dog crate would be another alternative :)

Remember bunnies jump/climb so you'll need to double check your proofing to take into allowance things like leaping over the telly to get at the wires behind :lol:

I find neutered males are easier to litter train & can be less grumpy than females, although i'm sure lots of people would disagree! I always tend to go for boys as the neutering is simpler. Hugo is now a house bun & i've discovered that indoor buns need plenty of wood to chew or your furniture may suffer! :lol:

A cage that size would only be okay if he's not shut in at all. You need to check the heights on different brands too as some are taller than others. A dog crate would be another alternative :)

Remember bunnies jump/climb so you'll need to double check your proofing to take into allowance things like leaping over the telly to get at the wires behind :lol:

yep mine have got up on the window ledges and dining table with no trouble!!!

Oh Yes...Bunnies jump.
We have three house buns and they all seem to get along fine in their litter boxes with little or no training- a few accidents with the footballs but they sweep up no problem.
We have a laminate floor for the buns with strips of carpet for them to run around on(to stop them skidding)as some buns can see all carpets as extra munchable treats so be ready for that too
Otherwise, its really down to the rabbits personality and the amount of interaction they get with you that determines how they behave(Sometimes, anyway)
Ours have a dog pen each for night times(apart from pooh bear who is allowed out unsupervised at night cause she is an angel- but take nothing for granted
I'm sticking my neck out here and I'm sure some others will argue, but once you've had a house bun, the rewards are so great that it just seems wrong leaving them in a garden.
Just don't leave many ornaments or things around or food or drink items obviously- We once left a glass of white wine on the coffee table whilst at the other end of the room and Jessica (RIP) decided it would be fun to jump uponto the table and knock the glass over onto the floor and start DRINKING THE WINE!!!!:evil:
Definately not what the Doctor ordered....Guess it must be the grapes..:p
This was the same Jessica that got hold of a big box of Maltesers, threw them on the floor, spilling them on the floor then ran round gobbling them up like a pac man as we scrambled to pick her up...she got three maltesers though...
Get ready for the adventure of your lives.......

Thanks for all the info.

I am looking at alot of things, also deciding on what breed i would like. Like the look of Lion heads and Netherland dwarfs.

The dog crate for a house sounds like a good idea.

Anyone got any info on these two breeds personality info etc?

Back