• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help Bunny Stresses!

shel20

Alpha Buck
Hi guys....dont know if uv been following but been bonding two young male buns who are unneutred (getting them done together very soon) an dthey have been getting on great no fightin ect but since last nyt my older one alfie is just constanly fur pullin bobby the younger. also alfie seems to be moulting from his bun..can this be stress? he is besotted with bobby and mithers him to death humping ect..they do groom each other n seem friends but im geting worried about all the fur pullin as i dont want bobby to get fed up????
i dont know what to do?? im thinkin if they dont get along after neutering would anyone on here take on bobby and ill take a neutred female from someone or should i stick it out...they are ok at moment im just feeling a bit stressed about it all..........

Last edited:
Hi I think poor bobby could be finding the fur pulling quite stressful, it sounds to me like he is being bullied a bit by Alfie, how long before they are neutered? As i would hate for this to turn in to a full scale fight.

It is possible that bobby has an infection, which could also have been brought on by stress. It's probably best you get him vet checked.

Where abouts are you?

I would get them both neutered now, before things turn nasty and you will be unable to bond them again. Book an appointment with a vet, and ask for them to be both neutered at the same time together as soon as physically possible. Phone around, but the sooner you do this, the more likely they will love each other. Leave it too long, and you will end up with two very injured buns or two separate buns.

well he was sneezin when i got him to be honest but yeah i think he is getting a bit bullied to be honest, he lies down and seems to be relaxed despite being hounded by alfie pulling and digging on him...but he seems grumpy with me too now, not enjoying cuddles and pushing me away?? hopefully next week for the neutering? alfie seems over excited all the time, biting on the cage to get out when he sees booby out playing and running round making like a buzzin noise?

well he was sneezin when i got him to be honest but yeah i think he is getting a bit bullied to be honest, he lies down and seems to be relaxed despite being hounded by alfie pulling and digging on him...but he seems grumpy with me too now, not enjoying cuddles and pushing me away?? hopefully next week for the neutering? alfie seems over excited all the time, biting on the cage to get out when he sees booby out playing and running round making like a buzzin noise?

Buzzing sound is hormonal, he is getting nasty. Can you not get to a vet today to book in for neutering, im just scared they are going to start fighting before you get the chance.

well i could try n book them in for tomorrow??? after neutering will all that behaviour calm down? and shall i keep them together to recover?

I doubt you will be able to get 2 neuterings done tomorrow unless you are really lucky. If you can't get them booked in for monday and keep a really careful eye on them over the weekend

It might take a week or so for Alfies behaviour to calm down after the neutering, it depends on the rabbit really. It may be possible to keep them together to recover, again you will just have to watch their behaviour and if alfie is still humping bobby they will need to be seperated for awhile as it will be stressful for bobby and can cause alfies bits to swell up with fluid.

ok guys just booked them in for monday together..hope they will be ok! 30 pound each does that sound about right. if things are gettin heated shall i keep them apart this weekend? like i say there is no fighting but bobby is clearly not going to be happy about his fur being pulled all weekend is he?

You may have to keep them seperated unsupervised but so they can still sniff and touch eachother until they are neutered, if a full on fight breaks out they can do alot of damage.

£30 is very good, i paid £60 for joey because they kept him overnight, they dont let them go until they have pooed and are eating at the one i go to. It will take a couple of weeks for you to notice they have calmed down normally, joey calmed down much quicker than the nethie i had so does also depend on the rabbit.

ok guys just booked them in for monday together..hope they will be ok! 30 pound each does that sound about right. if things are gettin heated shall i keep them apart this weekend? like i say there is no fighting but bobby is clearly not going to be happy about his fur being pulled all weekend is he?

Excellent news, i didnt mean book them in for tomorrow to be neutered i meant book them in to be examined prior to neutering, but you have sorted it so very good. keep a very close eye on them over the weekend. I would even sleep in the same room as them to ensure that a fight doesnt break out. I think you are lucky in that one of them is very docile still (as still very young), if they were both hormonal, there would be trouble. Make sure little bobby isnt too stressed.

well i can supervise them when together and they can be in their cages or out seperatly when im not.how can i check to see if bobby is stressed...could alfie be stressed too and thats why his bottom is moulting a bit???
they eat together n stretch out together but alfie only does this for a miute before jumping back on him. I really really hope they will be ok after neutering.......

After neutering they should be fine, as long as they dont get into a scuffle. Moulting is normal for buns, and the bum area might not be due to stress, but it could be fur pulling. As long as the bunnies are ok in themselves, not scared or hiding, then they should be ok. Any signs of fighting, separate immediately.

It maybe the start of hormones kicking in they could be ok one minute then fight the next. My boys did unfortunately. It will stress them both out but least your vet can examine them to makesure its nothing else. Dont seperate them so they cant see or sniff eachother you'll find it hard to bond them again, when saffy got fiesty i had them with just a fence in between so they didnt lose the bond. If it was me id just have them together supervised.

ok ill keep a close eye on the little monkeys and watch what they are gettin up to!
am i right to interviene...is push alfie away if he is furpulling or mounting when they are out together?

Back