• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Internal Abscess

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Has anyone come across a bunny with an internal abcess?

Benjamin went to the vets last week for a dental as his teeth are mis aligned and during the examination my vet found a lump in him abdomen.

Today he went in for an explority and the vet found the offending lump. Af first he he thought it was cancer infecting the lymph nodes but when he took a biopsy it was full of puss. He has told me it appears to be the same as the abscesses usually found on a rabbits face.

He has drained what he can and sent a sample to the lab. Benjamin and come round and I can collect him when I finish work.

I am really upset as we have had a bunny with a face abscess and it did not end well and now Benjamin has one where we cant even help.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your bun :(

Whereabouts was the lump?

Generally abscesses on the body have a better chance of recovery than ones in the head area.

:wave: glad it's not cancer anyway - and can I just plug metronidazole again? It's what cured Maa's head abscess, although of course they are all different and uniquely difficult to get rid of :? Metronidazole attacks anaerobic bacteria though, unlike many antibiotics, so it's perfect for internal infections - they use it with MRSA in humans. Maa is average size and had half a tablet, ground up and mixed with a teaspoon of mushed up pellets, with a bromelain tablet to make it taste nice (you could just as well use a splash of pineapple juice or fruit babyfood I guess) - She had an 8 day course, twice as the abscess returned after a few months - never upset her tum either so it's maybe worth a try, depending on the lab results - I hope you can sort it one way or another :)

oh dear ...no advice im afraid ...not had experience of anything like that . All the abcessess we have dealt with have been just under the skin on on the jaw :?

hope hes ok :?:(

Thanks.

I will see what the vet subscribed (he said he would give me some antibiotics but I don't know which one).

The vet did say he has never come across this before but when an abscess can occur anywhere on the body there is no real reason why it would not occur internally.

I wish I could leave work now.

Maa's first internal abscess was caused by a fluke accident - a piece of sharp, stalky timmy hay got rammed into her gum when one of the girls jumped on her head while she was eating - I saw Maa run onto the patio with her mouth bleeding, but then she seemed fine till a few months later, when the bit of hay had apparently worked its way through her head and out through her eyeball :shock: The vet found the hay inside all the pus in the abscess behind her eye - poor Maa! I've no idea why the hay would move, but I've heard stories about soldiers that have schrapnel which moves through their body - maybe Benjamin had something tiny get stuck under his skin?

Maa's 2nd abscess was caused by 2 stitches from the first op, which had failed to dissolve for some unknown reason - her body had walled them off inside an abscess and the vet found them in the middle of the pus when she operated.

Back