• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely Bertie

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie is very lonely, up until yesterday we hope he had a special lady bun lined up, but this is sadly no longer to be :cry:

Bertie is a 5 year old, rather large dutch cross, looking for love, this is his story,

We rehomed Bertie and his brother Bruce as a bonded pair to live with Prudence, They had been in the rescue a year as Bruce is a biter. The group got on well although it was obvious Bertie was in charge, chasing Bruce every so often.
The problem came when Bertie had gut stasis and had to stay at the vet. I took Bruce with him but in a small vet cage they fought badly and although I tried hard to get them to live together back home it didn't work out.
What made us angry was that we found out that the 2 had been fighting at the rescue center but no one bothered to tell us, and also that this was the reason they were brought in to the centre.

Bertie now lives in a large house and run where he can see Bruce and Pru through the bars. He spends all his time watching them, he refuses to go in his house at night because he hates being alone. He's now refusing to eat unless he can see them, which has become a problem with the wet weather as they need to be fed in their sheds.
I've tried to reintroduce them but it doesn't work, I've brought him into the house but he sits at the door to be let out.

Bertie is a lovely cuddly bunny, who just doesn't get on with his brother. Does anyone have an older lady also looking for love. The set up is all on a level so would be ok for a bunny with mobility problems, she just needs to be able to live outside and get on with male buns.

I am getting worried for Bertie as over the last couple of weeks he has started to become depressed despite me giving him loads of extra attention.:(:(

Can anyone help?

HPIM0848.jpg

He is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! :D :D

I hope that he finds the girl of his dreams and lives happily ever after!!!!!:D

It's heartbreaking isn't it? We lost Jasper last month and poor Honey looks so forlorn sitting by herself. We took her to Kay's Bunnyhops to try and find her a husbun but she wasn't having any of it. I'm going to try again in a few weeks but if it still doesn't work I think I'm probably going to have to have a rethink because I can't bear to see her looking so lonely :(

Thanks sooz, I check these lists every day, for bertie, I must admit I have had my eye on Nutmeg, but not sure if I could get to her. The 2 closest ones need to be a house rabbit and the other doesn't like being shut in and she would have to be at night.

I think many of the rescues are open to bunny runs. Jill is definately a possibility, we do them too, probably best to find the bun you think Bertie would like and then ask the rescue concerned and take it from there :D

Thanks RachelK, I've looked at bertrice but it says she needs to be an indoor bunny and all her other older bunnies are male/female pairs or sponsorship only.

I'd love an excuse to go and look at her bunnys though:)

I've rung Heathlands in Royston and left a message as I have had rabbits from there before. I'm also trying to get hold of nanas in Northampton, but haven't had much luck.

I've had the lovely offer of a reference if I find a bunny a bit further a field. I could travel up to an hour in any direction but after that would need the help of a bunny run. And yes I would definately pay the petrol

I would still consider the 1 year old ones. Pudding is older than it says, I know this as she is the daughter of my bunny Eve

Back