• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much?!

I went to P@H yesterday and was looking around and I thought i'd look at the hutch huggers there. For the thistle hall one they want £67.99, I bout fell over!! :shock:

How can they justify that price. I know I was feeling lazy so I thought I'd get one but I think the buns can do with a duvet under some cheap B&Q tarpaulin... no where has the staple gun gone?! D'oh!

:lol:

Blimey.

You can see why they do it though. To make monies. A person buys a bun or piggie and a hutch they you get asked 'would you like the hutch cover to go with that?' blah blah blah.

H xx

All you need to recreate one of their hutch huggers are a few of those silver sun shaders for cars, you can get them from pound shops, a clear shower curtain (again pound shop or supermarket), some Duck tape and a bit of creativity! It cost me about £10 all in all to cover my hutch and it works :D

I have a couple of cheap fleece blankets from Ikea that were about £1.50 each and I put them over the hutch and then a sheet of tarpauline that I pinched off my mum and use DIY spring clamps to grip it on at the top and bottom, it does the job. I was going to get a made to measure one that people on here have recommended but for such a big hutch although fantastic they aren't very cheap, I'd already spent loads on them and the hutch is made with thicker wood than usual so the back and sides are already insulated. I will probably get one done this year though.

The Poundland shops have bench covers in at the moment :) They are clear plastic with ladybirds around the bottom. Perfect fit for 5ft x 2 hutches and secure with clamps :)

I bought a hutch hugger for my 1st lavender lodge, i was also shocked by the price and as I had 3 more hutches that also needed covers I looked at alternatives. I bought silver insulation on a roll from B&Q, it was an offer of buy on get one free so for about £35 including some waterproof tape I have used the Lavender lodge cover as my template and made 3 more covers and I still have almost a full roll of insulation left over, so each cover has cost me about £11.60. a big difference from the £50 or £60 that P@H charge.

All you need to recreate one of their hutch huggers are a few of those silver sun shaders for cars, you can get them from pound shops, a clear shower curtain (again pound shop or supermarket), some Duck tape and a bit of creativity! It cost me about £10 all in all to cover my hutch and it works :D

What a great tip Kay - mine are in shed now but Im hoping to do some fostering in the future so will keep this idea in mind.

Thanks for sharing it.

:oops: no probs, I like the way the screen protectors reflex the sun away too whilst being thermal so the hutch stays warm in winter and cold in summer.

Steph I brought one of those bench covers today from Poundland (mine has tulips on it :lol:) Its great, thanks for sharing that as well.

I wanted a clear cover for the run as I had it covered with blue tarp before and poor Arthur had a miserable view. I have now covered the end of the run that gets the driving rain and wind by cutting it to shape and stapling it to the run. For the first time in the rain Arthur sat on his plastic chair and nodded off in the dry. Many thanks :D

why is it that pet shops charge so much for these hutches? my bun is indoors but i always look at outdoor setups in petshops, there is a 3ft tiny hutch in a pet shop in kidderminster and its £50?:shock:

i dont get why they charge so much from what i have seen it also applies to the dog crates they sell it just really baffles me?

I got an insulated cover with ladybird patterns from our pound shop for a pound, its fab :lol:. I also stapled boiler lagging to the floor and ceiling of each hutch bedroom and staples ilver reflective foil on the walls and back of the door. In really extreeme weather I put in heatpads. I think I paid about £5 for 5 metere of boiler lagging from B&Q.

Back