• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing....

Austin_3

New Kit
Hi everyone. Im thinking of getting a rabbit. It will be housed indoors. So i have a cage that i had 2 piggies in. Im just not sure if its big enough.

So to get some ideas i would love to see pics of your cages.

Thanks, Austin

It really depends on how much of an indoor rabbit you want it to be. Mine live indoors but i wouldn't consider them as house rabbits as they live in a wooden hutch and a cage, though I let them out every night for a run around.

Depends what size the hutch you already have is also.

H x

Mine just use the base of an indoor cage to litter and feed and dig in. They are free range in the house so it's "their" space to do their stuff. :D

Mine has the whole run of the house. Just make sure all wires are out of reach or they may blow themselves up!
He shares the litter tray with the cat, and took to it very easily. His bowl is next to the cat's and he shares the water bowl too. They are best friends and play and tumble all over the house :D
I have bunnies in a run in the garden, so its bunny proof. He goes to the back door and scratches when he wants to go out and play, and then scratches to be let in again. It's like having a dog with very floppy ears! :lol:

my buns live in my utility room but have the run of the house all day for 4 days of the week usually as i work very long hours i have more days off, if im working they come out at 6 til bed time. I have smallish hutch in the utiliy that id left open at all times but they dont go in it much as they have nice rugs and a low wattage heater to snuggle by, they like lying on top of the hutch alot too.

Alvin and pearl are caged when we cannot be there to supervise them, Pearl is a carpet digger and alvin is a wallpaper eater so while they are so young i cannot allow 24 hrs free range :(

when locked in the cage is a 42" dogcrate with a pen attached and a plastic net to cover. this gives them a space of 3 1/2 feet x 7 1/2 feet when caged and i feel terribly guilty with that... when we move to a bigger house they will get thier own room but until then its the best i can give them.

altho they do seem spend a lot of time in thier space when the cage is opened up so they must like it :D

Hi everyone. Im thinking of getting a rabbit. It will be housed indoors. So i have a cage that i had 2 piggies in. Im just not sure if its big enough.

So to get some ideas i would love to see pics of your cages.

Thanks, Austin

As everyone has said it depends on the size of the cage. If it is one that is specifically made for guinea pigs then it probably wouldn't be large enough, rabbits need enough room to be able to stretch up and stand on their hind legs and guinea pig cages (well the ones I have seen) don't have enough vertical space for that.

has anybody seen the £60 'rabbit house' in percy throwers garden centre, its tiny even when [ictured with 2 netherland dwarfs in, and on offor atm:?

I have TWO of the biggest cages pets at home supply for rabbits. One on top of the other with a ladder inside

same deal.. rabbit has the run if the house when i'm in. but in his cage when im at work (8 - 6)

My two are house bunnies. They have a 6ftx2x2 hutch plus one of those eight sided dog pens folded out to give them a larger area in our dining room.

If you go to introductions and my thread there is a picture of this. Both of thee were from happyhutch.co.uk

This is set up infrom of a door, so at bed time they just have hutch and run, and it means we can close them away for deliveries/visitors etc.

During the day they are free roaming in hall and kitchen as well. We put a child gate on bottom of stairs. They did not get to free roam when we were not there for a couple of weeks after we got them, but they are not at all destructive.

The hall as tunnels/dig boxs and little carpet samples that they like sitting on.

Hope that gives you ideas

Back