• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much straw??

Lynzxx

New Kit
Hi everyone.......sorry, I've got another new bunny query!!

I've bought a bag of straw for bedding but it looks like really short lengths and I was expecting it to be longer so that it would bulk up and the bunnies could burrow in it, so I was just wondering how much do I put in the bed?

Their bed is a wooden box with a hole cut in the front and a litter tray inside. I asked in P@H but the girl didn't seem to know :?

Also, I have a snugglesafe pad but should I always use this under the straw or just when it's really cold over night?

I don't want them to get cold in this horrid weather :cry:

Thanks, Lynz xx

I haven't got outside bunnies but I'm guesing a good thick layer. Better safe than sorry I don't think you could put too much in.

My sister puts a lot in. If there's too much the buns will pull it out, then you know for next time.

I'd only put your snugglesafe in when it's cold.

Might I suggest using hay instead of straw, as it does not have such sharp ends which can cause eye injuries.
I use the left-over uneaten hay at the end of the day to add to the bedding pile, and older used hay from there to put in the loo tray.
When the loo needs cleaning, the lot goes into the garden recycle bin.
Bales of hay are cheapest to buy at around £3, and last ages for a bun.
They then have a constant supply to nibble, and it gets the most use possible.

I think I'll pop a good layer of straw on the bottom then with the older hay in the top for snugling into!!

Thanks for the help! :D

Lynzxx

I do the same with the left-over hay and use it as bedding. I do use the very soft straw in winter as well though as it has higher insulation properties than hay. The best I've found is the Russell Rabbit extra soft straw. I've a snugglesafe but as I've two bonded rabbits outdoors who use each other as hot water bottles, I now use it for sick bunnies who need to be kept warmer than usual.:)

I use about three inches of straw and then a good fat layer of fresh hay on top. This is their main hay supply so that's why it's fresh. If you have a good separate supply of hay elsewhere, you need only put in straw or if you wanted to, put a thin layer of hay on top of the straw, but remember, most bunnies burrow, so if you are trying to aviod eye injury, the hay on top is pointless. My Milly burrows under the hay and straw and she's fine. (fingers crossed) Straw is not usually that sharp anyway (good quality straw), and bunnies know when to shut their eyes and to get out of danger. They're not stupid.

ETA: I only use a Snugglesafe when it's like below 0C.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how much I put in, they drag it all out and make a new space anyway. In the coldest parts of the winter I was loading it with both hay and straw, but they would still pull it out and dump it in their run - very particular about house cleaning are my buns!
I guess that the two of them together keep them warm enough.

To echo what was said above, just try and see what happens.

Back