• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jeyes advert

Ashley

Alpha Buck
I think just saw a TV ad for Jeyes advertising their product for cleaning Rabbit housing. I thought it was toxic to Rabbits? I was kinda only half watching as i was reading the forum. A boy was holding a Rabbit (incorrectly) and his Dad was bent over cleaning with the Jeyes spray.

Anybody seen it or know???

Its the only product that I know of that is guaranteed to kill Coccidia, we got through bottles of the stuff during our suspected outbreak last summer.

It must be used in a well ventilated area and be rinsed thoroughly after use with clean water.

Its highly toxic to cats.

Thanks Sooz

Thats good to know. :D Would it be ok for cleaning litter box every time or just when doing a thorough clean occasionally.

I would just use it for a thorough clean.

I know it damages the wire on indoor cages as well, so only ever clean bases with it!

We had a terrible scare with jeyes fluid. Our welsh cob mare is terrible for eating her bedding. We bought the very expensive obeos (special shavings) bedding which they give you jeyes fluid which is diluted and sprayed on the bedding to stop horses eating it. We put her in her box and she immediately took a huge mouthful of the bedding to our absolute horror! :shock:

We took her straight out and grabbed what we could out of her mouth, she was wheezing and foaming at the mouth, we called the vet out and had to rush her to the equine hospital, she had blisters all down her throat and was popped on a drink, it was touch and go but she was ok, shes now 20 and on normal shavings.

I would certainly not recommend jeyes fluid, its just not worth the risk.

Well our vet recommended it for the Coccidia but for day to day cleaning I use dilute bleach.

I haven't seen it cos its part of Emmerdale, but my mum rang me up after she saw it as she was worried about whether it was safe to use on bunnies. I don't think the advert is a great idea because if you don't know how to use it properly I feel it could be dangerous to use in this way.

I haven't seen it cos its part of Emmerdale, but my mum rang me up after she saw it as she was worried about whether it was safe to use on bunnies. I don't think the advert is a great idea because if you don't know how to use it properly I feel it could be dangerous to use in this way.

Yes I agree. The fumes it gives off are positively nautious. :shock:

I wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary, only for major clean outs where bunnies have been infected.

That advert should be removed from the TV. Grrrr

My experience with Jeyes :S

When I was 15 I had a saturday job in a florists and part of my job was to clean out ALL the buckets which held fresh flowers with Jeyes fluid, small room, no gloves or mask or anything. I got asthma from it (cleared up now) and had nasty blisters all over my hands. :censored:

Harsh, eh?

H x

I thought that advert had been taken off because of complaints?

I agree with Sooz though...Jeyes fluid is very good at killing bacteria and viruses, and I sometimes use it myself if I know a hutch is going to be vacant for a while.

Certainly shouldn't be used for routine cleaning though.

Amy

jeyes fluid will kill just about all known germs dead - it must be THOROUGHLY rinsed afterwards tho. years ago a friend on mine cleaned her kitchen floor with jeyes as her cat had kittens and they were being litter trained. in the morning 2 of the kittens were dead and the others seriously ill - all from licking the floor, which she thought she had rinsed off. its scary stuff if not used properly. x x x

Back