• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toothless Jack is going bald. please help?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I have been treating Jack (with metacam and baytril) for infected incisor-roots for a while now. The pus is still there but there is not nearly as much and she smells like bunny breath again rather than rotten vegetables.

She's had a crispy patch under her chin since the op now which we assumed was due to drooling/pus but we just noticed today when giving her another wipe that she has gone bald under here.

now I dont see how she could have done this herself but can anyone please help? I'm worried it might be swollen down there but since I've never seen under a healthy rabbit's bald chin i'm kind of stumped as to whether it is or not.

here are some pics. sorry they're so large but it makes it easier to see..

jack2.jpg

jack.jpg

It looks like the constant drooling may have rotted the fur away, I have seen similar things happen with weepy eyes.

Has the vet taken a look?

not yet, only noticed it tonight.

am going to try and get an appointment for tomorrow morning but we are off to a funeral all afternoon so it's another bad timing situation.

she is a little bit crusty round the edges of the bald patch (you can just see it in the photo)..

is it serious?

poor little mite has suffered so much already :(

My bridge bunny used to drool alot and have watery eyes due to constant dental problems and lost all the fur under his chin and round his eyes.

Hi,
if Jack has an abscess under his chin you should be able to feel it. If he is OK you should be able to feel his jaw line without any bumps, especially between the 2 lower mandible bones. If there is any lumps or bumps, I would get him back to the vet and ask to be put on another antibiotic. He may be bald because of all the wetness around his mouth,but better to be safe than sorry.
Hope this helps.

not yet, only noticed it tonight.

am going to try and get an appointment for tomorrow morning but we are off to a funeral all afternoon so it's another bad timing situation.

she is a little bit crusty round the edges of the bald patch (you can just see it in the photo)..

is it serious?

poor little mite has suffered so much already :(

Sounds like it may be sore, it should grow back when she stops drooling. Can you clean and trim it and put a barrier cream over it for the time being to protect and moisturise the skin?

I should imagine its crusty because its dry and sore.

wow thanks so much for all the advice. I will have a prod tomorrow morning (dont want to disturb her again tonight as she gets stressed when i try to catch her in her hutch). i had a little feel today and it felt squishy but now I have your advice re mandible bones i will have a proper feel.

sooz do you have any examples of a barrier cream? would vaseline work or is it somehting more specific?

If it's crusty, it may be infected so he may need an antibiotic cream. Can't remeber the name of it but it starts with F. I'm tired:)

Poor Jack. Hope its just cos of dribbling and itll grow back. Poor little love x

so do i!!! all this has caused her enough pain etc...

i will TRY to get appointments tomorrow hopefully they will sort it out but in the meantime it's Vas all the way :thumb:

Back