• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

Hugbut

Mama Doe
Hugo's myxi booster is now due, but as he has already had myxi, & is now a completely indoor bun, do you think it is necessary for him to have it? I want the best for him, but don't want to get him vaccinated again if he doesn't really need it.
:wave:

i'd say definately get his booster done. as said earlier, the insects that carry the disease can still get into your house. better to be on the safe side:D

I have house bunnies and for peace of mind I have them vaccinated. I would never forgive myself if Ollie the cat brought some flying creature in and one of them got bitten and became ill.

Thanks for your replies everyone.The reason i was asking is that he's already had myxi & i read that it's very unlikely he'd get it again as he'd now have a natural immunity to it.As you have rightly pointed out though, better to be safe than sorry :D

Yep def vacinate. even if he has already had it i'm not sure that he is then immune like say humans and chicken pox but am sure someone with more knowledge can advise on that.

Thanks for your replies everyone.The reason i was asking is that he's already had myxi & i read that it's very unlikely he'd get it again as he'd now have a natural immunity to it.As you have rightly pointed out though, better to be safe than sorry :D

Did he have full blown myxi or the nodular form? I'm asking because Floss had nodular myxi in October '06 and despite being covered by the vaccination she contracted it again in October 07, so she obviously didn't become immune as a result of having had the disease. I'm just thankful that she'd been vaccinated as she may have developed the full blown myxi.

Did he have full blown myxi or the nodular form? I'm asking because Floss had nodular myxi in October '06 and despite being covered by the vaccination she contracted it again in October 07, so she obviously didn't become immune as a result of having had the disease. I'm just thankful that she'd been vaccinated as she may have developed the full blown myxi.

He had the nodular form.I have now booked him in for his booster in the morning! :D

I got Charm his booster even though he's a housebun and I live in a low risk area. I'd be devestated if he caught the thing because I wanted to save some money. I don't think I could forgive myself. I say always get the booster done, even if you have to threaten your vet with taking your buns to someone else in order to get the booster in the first place. *nods*

Yep def vacinate. even if he has already had it i'm not sure that he is then immune like say humans and chicken pox but am sure someone with more knowledge can advise on that.

Ha!! Chicken pox immunity, I haven't got that :lol: I've had chicken pox 7 times since i was 4. :lol:

I would deffo get him vax'd

H xx

Hugo had his booster today :D
I'm a bit concered at how the vet gave him the injection though - she put the full amount under the skin but every other time he's had it, some of it was put on his skin first, then the rest injected underneath.I didn't want to say anything though as she's the vet afterall :?

Hugo's myxi booster is now due, but as he has already had myxi, & is now a completely indoor bun, do you think it is necessary for him to have it? I want the best for him, but don't want to get him vaccinated again if he doesn't really need it.
:wave:

They can still caych it even if hes a house bun

Yep my house buns are vaccinated, id never forgive myself if anything happened.

As for the vet injection its odd they put it on the skin first my vet always gives the full amount subcut

Back