• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parsley and Herbs???

shel20

Alpha Buck
Hiya! after hearing about buns liking parsley i popped to asda and bought a persley plant..50p and moment! and put it out for the bun to have a nibble on..well i nipped to have a quick 5 min shower and came back and all that was left was the soil! i couldnt believe it they obviosly enjoyed it! (the two of them) was wondering how much and how often to give them treats like this..and what other herbs they will enjoy?

mine LOVE herbs, we had a herb garden in the bunny garden, about a metre sqaured...and my mum went out to give the buns so cabbage one night and she didnt lock their cage properly...the next morning i go out there and see them... 9cus the hutches r in th ebunny garden they cant escape) n they were sitting where the parsley was...

and they had eaten a metre sqaured of parsley!! all of it was gone!

I bought a parsley plant and a basil plant at ASDA this morning! I am keeping them on the windowsill though, and handing the leaves out to the buns as special treats......otherwise the plants wouldn't last 5 minutes!!! :lol: :lol:

how much of it do you give them and how often?? its funny with my two, one follows the other around like a lost soul copying whatever he does...so when bobby took interest and started munchin alfie watched and then thought ok ill have a bit then..they are little comedians! ha

yeah get to good aold asda! 50p a plant! yeah i might try just givin them bits at a time otherwise ill be buyin one everyday!!! i just thought they would have a nibble and it would last ages! i thought wrong! he he
so should they get some everyday?

Mine love herbs :) I guess the interesting flavour appeal to them.

I give them a few leaves of herbs every day along with their other fresh veg but not *too* much parsley at once because its very high in calcium - although thats a bit of a judgement call. its tricky to judge how much calcium theyre getting but if you notice very sludgy, opaque wee, reduce the parsley.;)
basil and rosemary are also favourites with my rabbits. remember to introduce new foods gradually to make sure it doesnt disagree with them.

I grow little pots of Parsley, mint, corriander, basil and Thyme on my kitchen windowsill, and he gets a leaf of each one almost every day as a treat, and loves them. He also has Lavender outside that he can nibble on.

If you get your 50p pot from asda, repot in into a bigger pot, it'll keep growing for 3-4 weeks :D

so only maye a new herb and veg each week? they are only young 10/16 weeks. but the younger loves his food soo much.
So far they have had raddish n parsley this week...celery and green pepper last week.
what other veggies do u reccomend?

gosh so just a few leaves a day! well i bet they were laughing when they had access to the whole plant this morn!! he he

Yep it's best not to give them an excess of herbs/ veg as it can upset their delicate little tummies, especially with young bunnies who aren't used to it.

There is a list of some safe foods here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46015

introduce new foods one at a time so you can check for ill effects - a food that isnt poisonous may still "disagree" with certain rabbits. favourites with mine include broccoli, spinach, rocket, cress and celery, rosemary, mint and basil. they can eat carrot and some fruits but only a tiny, tiny bit because they are very high in sugar and thus bad for teeth - and weight! plenty of people dont feed any fruit for these reasons but I can't resist their begging faces so they get one tiny sliver of apple or half a grape each week. usually the worse something is for them, the more they will enjoy it! :lol: have fun making them some tasty feasts. x x

ooh thanks for that......some great ideas! ill carry on introducing a different one each week and monitoring there poops! ill look forward to makeing them yummy luches!and ill just give a few leaves this time so they wont have parsley coming out of their ears! he he

we have 2 curry plants and they have both been caned by Ron and Ginny. Normally I give them coriander and parsley. They are not too keen on any other herbs.

I give my buns full packs of herbs between a pair for their dinner. Parsley's actually good for their tummies.:D

Back