• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is she?

Vanessa-nessa

Young Bun
Hello :wave:

I bought Vanessa from P@H in September, before I knew better! She's now about 8/9 months old. Hopefully, I've managed to upload a pic as my avatar.

When I bought her, the assistant told me Vanessa was a lionhead (not that I asked, or minded what breed she was). However, now I've had a look around, I'm not sure she is a lionhead, and wondered if anyone could hazard a guess as to what she is.

(I've insured her as a lionhead, and am concerned that should I need to claim, they might say I mis-informed them).

It's hard to tell from the picture but she doesn't look like a lionhead to me [has she got extra fluffy bits around her head at all/anywhere?].. She looks like a rex or mini rex but the pic is too small to tell really :)

The picture is a bit small, but I can't see any long fur on her. Lionheads should have fluffy fur around their ears at least, I think. She looks like an English cross breed to me, bit like my Snoopy (the black and white bunny in my signature).
How big and how heavy is she? And is her fur normal length or very short and velvety?

Thanks. No, no fluffy bits. At the time I was told she'd get these fluffy bits as she got older. My friend has just adopted a "real" lionhead, and she has a bit of a mullet going on, which is what made me think about it a bit more. I'll try to upload a bigger photo, but I struggle a bit with photobucket!

Eta: she not enormous. She was weighed recently at the vet (ear mites) but I dont know what she weighed (bit rubbish, aren't I?) Her fur is normal length.

She looks a bit large to me... but she might well have lionhead somewhere in her - crosses don't all get the mane... just thinking that if the breeders told p@h that the babies were lionheads, then perhaps mum was one?

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0144.jpg

Hopefully thats it! her brown marking are straight down her spine, so in one photo, she's laying down with legs to the side. Hope that makes sense

Shes very pretty but about as 'non-lion-head-ish' as you can get, looks more of an English cross with lovely agouti markings. :D

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware most of the breeds p@h sell are english crosses or lionhead crosses. (from reading about their supplier) Looks like you've got the first one. She's very pretty.

Looks like a charlie to me (same as english but with fewer markings), she'll just be cross breed medium sized bun. Definately not a lionhead, nothing like one.

May be worth notifying your insurance she is a mixed breed not a lionhead as it could possibly reduce your premium, but I'm not sure.

She's very pretty though. :love:

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, she's a very pretty girl. :D

We originally kept her outside in a hutch, but brought her inside in November, and we all (me, DH, 3 kids) enjoy her so much more now. So she's not going back outside. She has free run of the kitchen, and goes outside to play in her run on nice days (not been many of them though!!)

Thanks for all your help - I'll give the insurance a call tomorrow.

Back