• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question about lops

capel

Warren Veteran
I was talking to someone yesterday about lop breeds and we seemed to have different info about dwarf and mini lops. Is the breed standard different in USA? I *think* I remember reading about it on the forum a while back, but can't find the thread.

Hey

Not sure of exact differences but yes, they are different and they use different names for lops. Confusing isn't it :?

Lian x

hi there. i 'believe' a mini lop in the US is a dwarf lop over here and a holland lop in the US is a mini over here. an expert will prob be along to correct me but i think thats what i have been told. x x

a friend of mine bought a dwarf lop from a pet shop a few years back. but he grew into a huge bunny! do they sell as dwarfs on purpose? :shock:

a friend of mine bought a dwarf lop from a pet shop a few years back. but he grew into a huge bunny! do they sell as dwarfs on purpose? :shock:

I think most of the dwarfs from pet shops are not purebred. A friend of mine got her two from Pets @ Home and they are huge compared to mine. I think you can tell by their face shape. True dwarfs are quite rounded, whereas crosses tend to be pointier?
Lian x

Dwarf lops in this country end up medium size, bit deceptive name really. Mini lops are the small breed.

Not sure about the US but I know there's are different.

hi there. i 'believe' a mini lop in the US is a dwarf lop over here and a holland lop in the US is a mini over here. an expert will prob be along to correct me but i think thats what i have been told. x x
That's the confusion I was thinking about. Thanks..so glad it just another of my senior moments then:lol:
C'mon you loppy experts out there..can you clarify it for us? Pretty please?:D:lol:

I think most of the dwarfs from pet shops are not purebred. A friend of mine got her two from Pets @ Home and they are huge compared to mine. I think you can tell by their face shape. True dwarfs are quite rounded, whereas crosses tend to be pointier?
Lian x

i don;t like pets at home selling rabbits anyway. they always look so sad. :cry:
i don;t buy anything there now and get everything online.

From what I was led to understand a "dwarf" lop is only called a dwarf so not to confuse them with the giant French lops - dwarfs tend to be your hollands etc - mini lops are the actual small breed lops that would be called dwarfs if the Frenches didnt exisit.

Dwarf lops arent small rabbits at all they are in fact medium to large medium sized bunnies.

They can vary so much, my Lene (dwarf lop) is already the same size at Walter and she's still growing. He's 2 years old and fully grown. My bridge dwarf lop Dana was a huge bunny.

Dwarf Lops do not exist in the US.

UK Mini Lop = US Holland Lop

UK German Lop = US Mini Lop

Dwarf Lops are not Dwarf at all, they weigh a max of 5 1/2lbs and are bigger than a Mini Lop and smaller than a German.

Back