• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue accounts - Advice please

Kay

Mama Doe
Question for Rescues please.

I do admin work at home in the evenings for my local dedicated Rabbit Rescue. I have just been re-vamping forms and factsheets to date but I am soon to take on the mammoth task of receipt sorting.

Apparently there are 2 years worth of receipts to sort :shock:

Anyway my question is how do you do your books? I have limited book keeping experience but I am not worried about the task. I just want to know from your experiences if there is a best way of logging them? I was going to sort them all into date order and list the expenditures in an Excel spreadsheet that way the data can be interrogated i.e a search on how much was spent on Hay etc.

Any advice would really really be appreciated. The lovely lady that runs the rescue is very good hands on with the buns but not much of an idea when it comes to scary paperwork :D

Last edited:
If you're using Excel you don't need to do the sorting beforehand.

Just make sure you list items in the columns you might want to sort on e.g. date, type of expenditure total with and without vat etc.

Then you can sort afterwards e.g. by date, type etc. and use subtotals etc.

I think you can also get free downloadable templates from the Microsoft site.

Good luck. :wave:

Crumbs of course thats a very good point. Gosh not thinking of that doesn't bode well does it :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the luck I might need it now! :lol:

I was thinking of handwriting them into a ledger at first :shock: :lol:

Gosh that's a task! I know exactly how you feel I do the accounts at work, and receipts are the bain of my life! :lol:

These are the column titles we use in our spread sheets:

Date, Amount, Supply, Supplier, Amount Inc VAT, VAT%, VAT Amount, Amount Excl. VAT, Cost Centre

(you may also want to add how it was paid for, we use a separate spreadsheet for purchases on account and purchases by credit card, but you could probably merge the two and add a column for the payment method).

Cost Centres are what the item was for, you need to consign each expense to a certain category; this is used for analysing how much was spent on the various parts of the business/rescue.
OH is overheads (ie, electricity, rent, anything that is required to simply keep the place running. Then other expenses, ie. Motor (all car related items), then you may have Animal Supplies (hay, food, other consumables). Try to think up as many cost centres as possible, this makes analysing it more effective at the end (if they want to). There may have been certain "projects" that the rescue had, for example an open day or event, or a massive rescue operation, these could also have their own cost centres.

Hope that isn't too confusing! :rolleyes: Good luck! :D

Brilliant thanks Thea. Yeap certainly going to be a task but I am looking forward to it now. I collect 'the box' on Sunday :lol: I think I should work from home permanently I worked till midnight last night on the forms alone.

Weird thing is the more involved I get the more it affects my dreams. Last night I dreamt of rows and rows of rabbits and we were desparately trying to get them out of these little breeder cages but the more we released them the more the cages kept coming like a conveyor belt :shock:

Phew! I was presented with a large storage box full of receipts covering 2004 - 2008! I have finally got them into order of month and year which took a long time.

Now the problem is going through the reciepts. They is a seperate account for the Rescue but sometimes she has put rescue things on her account so its going to be a painstaking task of itemising the receipts! ahhhhhhh its going to take me the rest of my life! lol

Phew! I was presented with a large storage box full of receipts covering 2004 - 2008! I have finally got them into order of month and year which took a long time.

Now the problem is going through the reciepts. They is a seperate account for the Rescue but sometimes she has put rescue things on her account so its going to be a painstaking task of itemising the receipts! ahhhhhhh its going to take me the rest of my life! lol

OMG - Am I really sad? That sounds like great fun:oops::lol:

OMG - Am I really sad? That sounds like great fun

:lol: shame your so far away I could have given them to you! lol

At first it was fun but 1,000's of receipts later and the thought of itemising a Tesco bill doesn't seem fun anymore! lol

If you're using excel you don't have to phsically sort them either. Just make sure you have a year, month & date column and you can type & sort at the same time.

You might want to suggest to the rescue that they have an envelope for every months worth of receipts. At the end of the month, they seal the envelope & file it. That way it's easier for whom ever is analysing it.

Back