• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*SNUFFLES ADVICE* Concerned about Martha *UPDATE - ADVICE PLEASE*

BeckyLH

Banned
Hi everyone,

I was just wanting some advice about my lovely new rescue bunny Martha. She's always had a bit of a runny eye and nose but in the last few days it got worse. She went to the vets for her jab and he said she had conjunctivitis which was affecting her nose too. She has some eye drops and her eye seems to be clearing up nicely although the vet did say they might need to try and flush her tear ducts. I am concerned though, her nose seems to have got worse and there is a thick sticky discharge from her left nostril (the same side as the infected eye) which I'm cleaning away daily. She was also making snorting noises when breathing, clearly from the conjestion, which really concerned me, it does however seem to be much better today which is why I haven't called the vet yet.

It seems to me that it might be snuffles from what I've read from other people on here but I'm really concerned that I've exposed her to something in the short time I've had her.

What could have caused this? She has dust free hay etc and she lives inside. I have two other bunnies and both of them are fine.

Becky x x

Last edited:
TBH I think another trip to the vet is needed.
I haven't any experience of bunnies needing tear ducts flushed etc, but hopefully someone else will be along soon who has.
I have experience with snuffles though, and the nasal discharge would concern me, particularly as if Martha becomes congested she cannot breathe through her mouth.
Snuffles won't have been necessarily caused by anything you've done - all rabbits carry the bacteria, and for some, in times of stress (such as changes to routine/new home) snuffles can flare up.
Some bunnies only have mild symptoms, but some can have really bad bouts, so early treatment is the key.
My bun has always had Baytril for snuffles, and the course needs to a minimum of 3 - 6 weeks to make sure it has cleared completely (even though you'll probably see a marked improvement in the first few days).
For some bunnies Baytril doesn't help their snuffles so alternatives are used (could be Septrin but not 100% sure:roll:).
I think I'd get Martha back to the vet to get her rechecked.

Thank you for that. I'll take her to the vets again tomorrow. We're just going into our third week with Martha now so it probably is the stress of changing homes that has done it. She's still acting relatively normally but she does seem very congested at times and I'm worried.

x x

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask some more advice.

Martha is halfway through her second lot of Baytril for snuffles and the discharge has pretty much cleared up, but she's still very snuffly and sounds like she's half sneezing a lot of the time. Is this normal? Could there be anything else affecting her? She's not eating much hay but she's still eating pellets and veg. They vet checked out her teeth. She's acting normally apart from the snuffling. Should I just carry on with the antibiotics and see how we get on?

x x x

How long has she been on baytril for? A minimum course of 6 weeks is now recommended.

You could try an alternative abx such as Septrin to see if that has more effect.

If she remains the same then its probably time to take a C&S swab from her nose for analysis, which is what lexie has just had done.

This is her second week, but I don't think she's had the full dosage every time as she gets stressed with the pippet so I put some of it on her food which I presume doesn;t have as good an effect. The discharge has cleared up and I know it takes a long time but I'm just concerned. I probably finish this batch of baytril then go back to the vet.

Sounds like the Baytril is working then, especially if you have noticed an improvement so quickly.

I would ask your vet to allow her to have a long course to really knock it on the head. Is she having probiotics too?

Its fine to put it on her food if you are sure she is eating it all....best way is to hand feed her.

She's not having probiotics, should I get some?

She's definitely eating the food as I put it on her pellets and she always clears the bowl. I've found she gets suspicious if I hand feed her but that was just after I tried her with the pippet so I think she was onto me, normally she takes food from me with no probs.

I think it is working it's just her breathing that's bothering me, it gets worse and better so quickly.

The discharge was really back and it's pretty much cleared up altogether so I think it is working.

x

I would get some yes, they help counteract the destructive effects of the abx on the gut flora and also help boost the immune system.

Back