• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diy??

xx-lou-xx

Young Bun
Just wondering if anyone has built their own hutches or runs?
If so how long did they take to build, how much did they cost etc?
Pics would be great :)

Yes we built a run for the house buns to get time in the garden. Its 8ftx3x3.5

We got two rolls of the square wire mesh at 13 pounds each (that is fairly cheap you may have to pay 20-25)

Then got wood at Wickes. Its pre cut and is one inch square. Think the wood cost us 30 pounds, but we also used some to make covers for plugs.

Then sage green wood stain (animal friendly) was about 8 pounds, but also did the indoor hutch you see in my Avatar.

I will try to take pictures - OH is very good at DIY

sounds quite easy then!
Think i may try to draw up some plans ..probably easier said than done! :?
worth a try though!

well i planned too then my dad offered to do it as a xmas prezzie and he is so much better than me at that sort of thing. so he made a 6ftx2ftx3ft hutch and recently did me a 6x6ft run for when im not there to watch them. i priced it up and u get much better and bigger than a shop bought one. use solid wood and make sure you buy animal friendly treatment for after pah do a wood stain quite cheap but you may need 2 tins. also buy galvanised mesh which is around £15-20) i used one roll for hutch and one roll for run in total. um wood depends on if you do solid pieces or planks of wood it seems to be cheaper to do planks of wood. also here is a big tip in b&q they give away the offcuts really cheap so a piece of board that would normally be 20 quid can be made up of smaller peiced(prob 2/3) for about £2. i was amazed when we went in i said oh how much is it they said oh 50p a piece...so i took a few! lol(that wood i used for something else but i am sure it would have been good if id known about it before to build hutch)

Here are pictures taken just now of the plug and pipe guards he made. I will get you one of the run later!

This is covering pipes to a radiator. OH was worried that buns would burn themselves:

rabbits_0012.jpg

This is one covering plug point. We have used wire tidy as well. OH has made about 4 of these now!

rabbits_0013.jpg

There are a load of photos of housing in the 'Stories & Photos' section. Might be worth checking these out for ideas.

We are in process of converting half of the shed for our two buns (other half will be for storage of their food, etc) and they will have access to a run which is 12'Lx6'Wx4'H. Once shed has been done we will be putting hatch thru to the run which we will close at night.

I managed to pick up a 12x10 shed on ebay for £15 which was a complete bargain. My husband is having this one for his motorbike and tools, etc and I am having his existing shed which is 10x8. There are always sheds and hutches, etc advertised on freeads, gumtree and preloved so worth checking these out for your local area.

The run isnt quite finished yet but this is where its at so far:

DSCF1483.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg

DSCF1486.jpg

My husband put this together. Most of the wood was salvaged from an old farm gate that had been dumped and he managed to get the tubes for the tunnel from a mate of his who does construction work with roads, etc. The only thing we have had to buy to do this was the mesh. I had a bargain with this on Ebay again lol. I got a 30 metre roll for £36.00 and this included postage. Can dig out the link for this if you like - just PM me if you're interested.

As you can see, we've been lucky to have done all of this quite cheaply so far so its worth having a scout around for various materials. Not sure if this is any help to you but hopefull so.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:
That is a Fabbo run

Jealous

Thanks - I was really pleased with it and my husband was def in my good books for doing it. It still needs few bits before its completed. We are gonna put some mesh on soil around bottom of tree then cover with gravel (same as whats outside the run), put some mesh around the trunk of the tree to stop them nibbling it, need to mesh down the side where the fence is, put a run paving slabs from the shed down to the gate,then do the panels for the top. Gonna hinge these so that they will be in sections and can be removed. That way I can know the buns are safe when Im not around. At the moment we only put them in the run when we are about to keep a check on them.

Its been fun doing the run and am now looking forward to getting the shed sorted.

Looks like youve had some ingenious ideas yourself with your radiator and socket covers!!

Ange xx

Yes, we built our own run (well I say 'we', hubbie did so best not take the credit!) Can't remember how much it cost though, was ages ago:

picture8.jpg

runopen.jpg

Back