• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my poor Archie U/D 17.03.08 now had op :(

LavenderLamb

Young Bun
he had a cyst removed from his neck about a year ago - luckily it was removed / was discrete not attached to anything

he has now got another swelling - we noticed a couple of weeks ago he looked a bit lopsided but when the vet checked him (he had gut problems) she thought it felt like scar tissue so we just kept an eye on him.

It was checked today as he is definitely lopsided on his neck now - she used a needle to check and it is clear fluid (like last time) no blood or pus, but it doesn't feel completely free / encapsulated and she wasn't sure until operated on but I felt it too and it felt lumpy and possibly attached.

He is going for his op Thursday so pray it is just a cyst again and not anything cancerous. He is such a lovely rabbit and couldn't bear to lose him - he is eeven more happy and we see even more of his personality since he got his wife Susie.

On advice we have been giving them their pellets in a dog treat ball and it has been funny to watch them work for his food - yesterday when I went to hutch in morning he rolled the ball over to me and nudged it into my hand as if to say 'come on put some food in their'

this morning I gave him a strip of toast and he grabbed it and ran away from Susie to hide and eat it! They then spent 5 minutes taking it in turns to pinch it off each other.

He is eating and otherwise happy but needs the op. Poor thing - he seems to hate going in the carrier in the car - he really trembles - I think he recognised the vet and when we got him out the carrier he jumped onto my shoulder and when she was trying to examine the swelling he tried in hide under my arm. Bles shim my poor Archie.

Last edited:
I just hope he will be fine. After finding Susie for him and seeing him change from a gorgeous rabbit to an even happier one it sucks when your bunnies get ill.

poor poor Archie, they put him under and the clippers failed so they couldn't do the op. He is now booked to have it Monday.
A second vet has now examined him and also thinks it may not be just a cyst :(

Oh no.....how upsetting that he had to undergo a GA for nothing.:cry: :cry:

I hope SO much that his op goes ahead smoothly on Monday, and that it does indeed turn out to just be a cyst. Sending MEGA vibes to Archie. xxxxx

thank you

I just think it sucks big time they had no other clippers and that he had to have the GA for nothing grrrr

I have update this evening - he is eating good news for now and he will be home tomorrow - will make the most of spending time with him at weekend and make a big fuss of him :)

Make sure they don't expect you to pay for another GA. After all it wasn't your fault that no-one checked that the equipment was working before putting him under. More vibes for Monday.

because my friend is vet nurse for practice I think I get it all special rate I have not paid for any of this yet. I just hope they get spare equipment so it doesn't happen again.

Archie had op this after noon

was not just a cyst

invasive had gone into muscle
blood vessels growing into it

granular and irregular mass - vet said almost size of tennis ball
(this had grown since end January and had increased raidly last week or so

have option of histology but have decided to see how it goes - it may have been benign (he had cyst removed last year so don't know if this is related).

gutted as hoped for better news but knew it felt 'wrong' from feeling the mass myself :(

Back