• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will Henry hurt a Baby?

brightspark19

Warren Scout
As some may know, henry lost his wife 10 days ago after what seemed like some sort of statis.

He has been very gloomy ever since and i think he needs a new girlfriend. I have been eyeing up these 2 cute little buns ive seen and they are 10 week old nethie dwarf crosses.

Henry is a 1 year old chocolate silver fox and is very laid back and lovely. I was wondering if you thought he might hurt a little bunny or if it might work?

any ideas or similar experiences?

i suppose its all down to the individual rabbit :? Crystal when i inrduced her to Simba he would have been about 9 weeks old the first thing she did was bite his bum :shock: but Crystal and always been a little :censored: putting it politly :lol: i think the main thing you need to think about is if he doesnt take to the baby have you got space to house the baby? alot of people dont think about that and when it doesnt work they automatically rehome one of the rabbits because they dont have room which is sad :(

i have some space to home her. i have a nero indoor cage which is big enough if she doesnt get on with him, but i also have 5 other rabbits and i know that oscar would get on with her because he LOVES anything that breaths and often anything which doesnt (humping the wheelbarrow comes to mind)

I was ill advised to get a baby bunny as a friend for Grace as she would take to it better -- this is :censored:

Within an hour of having Louis I was sat in the emergancy vets being given the choice between risking him having and anesthtic at a vey young age and stitching the hole in him that Grace had ripped or to staple him back together. -- £120 and staples later Louis came home.

The moral of the story is if you want to have a "quick" friend for your bun then contact a local rescue for adults. If you want a baby you need to wait untill the baby is big enough to be neutered, its hormones to have settled down and for it to be able to defend itself

i was thinking about keeping it in the nero until it was abit bigger.

The nearest rescue to me is about 10 miles and i dont drive although i have rescued before when i didnt have to work so much. I do usually adopt from p@h adoption but they dont have any at the mo and henry seems more gloomy by the day

I was ill advised to get a baby bunny as a friend for Grace as she would take to it better -- this is :censored:

Within an hour of having Louis I was sat in the emergancy vets being given the choice between risking him having and anesthtic at a vey young age and stitching the hole in him that Grace had ripped or to staple him back together. -- £120 and staples later Louis came home.

The moral of the story is if you want to have a "quick" friend for your bun then contact a local rescue for adults. If you want a baby you need to wait untill the baby is big enough to be neutered, its hormones to have settled down and for it to be able to defend itself

We had the same here, Jasper was a couple of months younger than Honey and was tiny when I brought him home. I'd divided the hutch into two but she broke through and bit a hole on his back that had to be stapled. They did bond eventually although she's now sadly a widowbun :(

Its natural for us all to be drawn to babies, in whatever form. If you have a grieving bunny, you need to do whats best for him. He needs to be matched with a bunny that suits his personality. In my opinion, the best way of doing this is via a rescue, who will allow your bunny to date with several bunnies and for him to choose the best partner for him. Im sure there will be some posts of successful baby/adult bonding, but there have already been two that had problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide for Henry.

we got a 12 week old dwarf lop when my 2 year old nethie was grieving and had very little trouble - bonded within a couple of hours - it was all easy peasy. We got her 'cos I couldn't stand to see Tosh's grieving and it worked.

There is no reason why any buns cannot be paired together. I certainly would not advise bonding young unneutered males with any neutered female rabbit, in this set up the female will frequently injure the male when she gets fed up with his persistent advances.

In the response to the question about bonding 2 small females to a neutered male, I would suggest that this should be easily possible.

I have bonded small and large buns before, all are possible however bonding tiny males with grown females can be more difficult.

Back