• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnie on road to recovery,just ate a load of hay! pg 9

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Saturday night had a tiny piece of apple (only allowed once a week)
sunday morning she had couple pieces of cecal not ate , could be though cos it was stuck to a big bit of megazorb and maybe didn't see it. It dropped off on floor when she came out!

SUnday she was eating pellet and veg fine and hay!

Monday morning she had not eaten all her hay which is unusual for her lately and she had a bit of messy bum again!

Started to worry as decrease in hay eating was a sign before when she went inot GI Stasis!

Again today a bit of messy bum , not eating as much hay as usual and her poo got a tiny bit small ans he is eating her raisons a bit!

Started on avipro (probotic) yesterday and as it's sweet she is drinking a lot of it!

So thinking we should take her to vet tonight incase she is on her way to Stasis again!

Just waiting for vet to open and will make appointment!

Could it be storm spooked her? Can this cause this???

Advice please!:cry:

Last edited:
hmmm - well I wouldn't give her apple again, and I would cut out veg and cut pellets down to a couple of teaspoons for a day or 2 as well - and give lots of fresh hay twice a day incase she's being picky over it, but yes it does sound like the start of stasis and it could be the storm distracted her from eating :?

with reference to the apple she has been fine only having it once a week!

i think it is a coincidence and that she is sickening for something!

Thought it was too good to be true, everyone elses bun seemed poorly and she was fine! should of kept my mouth shut!

Right no veg for dinner!

Will ring vets in a minute!

oooh good thinking! :shock: has she had teeth problems before?

No never!

She is still eaten some hay but not as much as usual!

We have just given her a reduced dinner which consisted of just a small spring green leaf, to try get her eating more hay,

She is eating her raisons as litter tray changed this morning and only 7 poos 4 of them joined by bit of fur. is there now!

She is drinking plenty because she has a avipro plus in there for 24hrs now!

She has a messy bum looks like uneaten cecals.

Her tummy we are pretty sure feels a bit bigger! I have heard a little gurgling and she wasn't drinking at the time!

o/h reckons her tum is a bit bigger but soft, and I feel the same!

She is booked in at 5past 5 at animed in gosport but it is not her usual vet it's someone called suzanne, but at least it not the useless vet we saw the other week!

Will get vet to check her ears aswell and see what they say if got mites and if they say not treatable I will scream as might mean she knows not alot about rabbits aswell although receptionist said has treated lots of rabbits!

god i wish caroline or robin was on tonight!:(:cry:

Last edited:
Right got to go off to vets in about 15 mins so got to get ready and get Bunnie in carrier hopefully this will be an easy task or though knowning bunnie she will not just to stress us more!:cry::roll:

If all fails will lead her in with trail of pellets, if that fails it's a grab and push in!:cry:

her tummy is fine , no blockage, not gassy or bloated!

Vet gave her gut stimulant injection, just in case,said keep eye on her if goes down over next 24hrs take her back! and carry on with avipro plus! Vet said it probably was the storm that spooked her as she decreased her hay eating that night and at 5.45am in the morning she was a bit more cuddly with us than usual so think was frightened as the noise outside was loud all night like someone had a hoover on!

Asked her to look at ears cos last vet said got mites, she said what did he give her for it , we said nothing he said no treatment, she gave a concerned look , i said it was a vet called mark, she said oh the south african guy, he is a good vet but in south africa rabbits are vermin so he doesn't know much about them or think they can be treated:shock:

In our book that is not a "good vet"!

She said just build up of wax and gave us some Cleanaurol to start when she is back to normal and fine to put in ears 1 drop each ear once a day for a week and massage base of ear when put it in!

Cost us £55.00 for some more avipro, cleanaurol, and we had to pay a £28 consultation charge!

Still we now have peace of mind that hopefully nothing untoward happening!

Bloody expensive storm if you ask me:evil:

Last edited:
At least she's okay, have you ever tried giving infacol, Charlie is quite prone to going off his food when he's been disrupted too much but (touch wood) so far some infacol, tummy rubs and a chase around has sorted him out.

We have some but are not quite sure if it's ok just to give it if notice she is off one of her foods that she has.

if this had been middle of night then probably would of given her some (2ml isn't it every hour) till we went to vet if she was starting to show more signs of not being well:)

It's inert so it doesn't do them any harm, I usually find two doses of the stuff and Charlie perks up, I give it at the first sign of there being anything wrong, luckily I've only had to do it 3 times.

So as soon as you notice they off one of their foods you give the infacol!

it it 2mls every hour! Will they lick it off spoon or do you have to force feed it into mouth?

So as soon as you notice they off one of their foods you give the infacol!

it it 2mls every hour! Will they lick it off spoon or do you have to force feed it into mouth?

Pretty much yeah, but if it happened frequently I'd take him in to see what was causing it, its only happened 3 times in jsut over a year.

I use a plastic syringe but he's quite good at taking it and the less I have to pin him down the more willing he is, I usually just hold him down a bit by the shoulders and pop it in the side of the mouth, he can be stubborn sometimes though.

So the Vet didnt check her teeth then :?
GI problems are usually a secondary symptom to another condition.

Infacol is OK to give for gas in the intestines but if the stomach (top of abdomen just below the ribs) is distended and not emptying Infacol can actually make matters worse.

Glad she is feeling better :)

Janex

So the Vet didnt check her teeth then :?
GI problems are usually a secondary symptom to another condition.

Infacol is OK to give for gas in the intestines but if the stomach (top of abdomen just below the ribs) is distended and not emptying Infacol can actually make matters worse.

Glad she is feeling better :)

Janex

No she didn't, kicking myself cos when we were waiting said make sure she checks her teeth!

She didn't then I swore like hell when got home and realised she didn't check her teeth!

I stayed up ll night with bunnie picking out her favourite bits of hay. she was running around fine and eating pellet and veg fine and drinking!

Today she has hardly touched any hay! She is still eating rest of food fine and happy in her self,

there is no sign of dribbling or ansign of discomfort when she does it a piece of hay! O/H went out and bought new bag of the oxbow timothy hay and some oat hay to try intice her just incase the other new bag only opened at weekend was off, but she is still not eating hay!

Other problem we have is she has been cleaning herself up by bum and is consuming the poo stuck to the fur as we cannot always grab it off her!

So she is consuming fur, plus shedding winter coat, she is passing some fur every now and then in the poo but as she is not eating hay how is the fur gonna pass through!

She is going back to vet tomorrow as we are too late now unless i see a sign of discomfort and any sign off decreasing poo amount or pellet or veg eating tonight then its of to out of hours! Will get teeth checked and I want her started on fibreplex and stuff as I put money on it she s gonna go into stasis in couple of days!

Last time we knew what caused it and it took 6 days for her gut to stop, this time we have no idea why this is happening unless there is something wrong with teeth or inside her tummy!:cry:

Sorry for long post!

god i am so tired! been up all night at work all day and gonna stay up all night again tonight then got work again! I doing night duty while O/H doing day duty!

Mush pellet with cut up hay in??????

I have seen on here if a bun is not eating hay people mush up some pellet and cut up some hay and put it in the mush pellet!

Shal we try this with Bunnie or could we maybe upset her tum by doing this in this consistency (i.e could she be sensitive to mushed pellet)

If you would advise this how exactly do you do it and how much.

Her pellet is Exel Dwarf/Junior (we were about to wean her over to the lite one as it contains more fibre (excel does not upset her tum and she can't have SS because of the Alfalfha) but then this happened so is now delayed)

So pellet Excel dwarf/junior
hay - Oxbow timothy hay

How much pellet?
How much hay?
How much water and what temperture?
And do you leave it to go cold or tiny bit warm!

:cry:

|Don't know whether is relevant but as buns sometimes eat hay when bored, and as she is not eating hay she has been chewing a tea towel of door step of her crate every now and then, she is licking her rabbit toy raymond more, and trying to chew a piece of board under the table that she sits on now this is strange as bunnie is not a chewer!

Any thoughts? Can they do this if teeth problem?:(

I'd take her back straight back to the vet Caroline, she doesn't sound good :(

Loads of vibes for Bunny :love:

Back