• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fur pulling? help!

shel20

Alpha Buck
Hiya guys as un may know im bonding two bunnies at moment, things goin well but this morn and last nyt my more dominant one was costantly pulling at the youngers fur and like diggling on his fur?is this normal, the younger doesnt seem to bothered but it looks like its hurting him, there are no marks or scratches though and apart from a lot of mounting they are gettin on well....should i be worried?

If it was a male/female pair doing this, it would be recommended you get the more aggressive one neutered before the one enduring all the action gets fed up and they fight - so I guess you could do the same with your boys, but do ensure they aren't split up - take them to the vets together in a carrier, recuperate the older one with his partner, etc. - and when you come to neuter the younger one do the same and keep them together, unless they are fighting already by then, in which case it's not very hopeful.

well they are not fighting its just the older one nipping and other thats worrying, they do cuddle and eat together which is great.Im probably gonna get them both castrated next week and let them recover together, hopefully the nipping will stop! is it best to interviene with the humping/nipping by gently pushing alfie off?

think i should of done that! ha! its goin well and since they are both unneutred and no fighting it looks promising the vet said! its fun watching them interact though...jumping around each other and copying each other! the fur fulling is just not nice to see as it looks like they are hurting but i dont think they are?

they do have thick coats - it would hurt if they nipped us but my girls regularly have fur flying (usually when Maa or Benny wees by the shed door, there is a commotion, or when I appear with food, Primrose wants it all to herself) - I've never split them up over it, even when Victoria was being mounted constantly by Petunia last year - I just watched it didn't get nasty - Victoria was happy to endure it, and when she got fed up she had plenty of room to run away, hop into a box of hay or hide behind a cardboard box, jump on a stool etc. - I think that's what made it bearable for her, and Petunia just stopped doing it one day - no idea why. I think you just have to keep an eye on it getting out of hand, and keep fingers crossed :)

I am unsure of details relating to your rabbits, this sounds very much like normal bonding behaviour. However as you mention that you have 2 unneutered males, I would strongly suggest that these are both neutered at the earliest possibly opportunity to maintain the highest chance of these rabbits being able to live together in the future.

Back