• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Views on Alfalfa???

Zorro

Warren Scout
I keep hearing mixed things about Alfalfa.

Should I be giving this to my bunny????

I haven't given him any yet but different places say different things about it!!!:?

Zorro is just over 3 months old.

Not an expert by any means, but maybe someone with more knowledge will come and inform us...

I've read that alfalfa can be good for growing baby buns because of its protein content, but the higher levels of calcium are not good as an excess of this leads to sludgy bladder and bladder stones, which you do not want. "The hay experts" recommend it as an occasional treat only because of that...

Alfalfa is good for growing rabbits as it is high in calcium and protein so helps their growing bones and muscles. However it is too high in calcium and protein for adult rabbits so should only be given as a very occasional treat, if at all, to an adult rabbit. At three months old they can have alfalfa for a while yet, but I would also feed what will become their usual hay, as it is good for them to get used to the taste and get into the hay habit while they are young!

I ocassionally let my Timmy have a bit of ALfalfa, as he is NOT a very good hay eater. So when he is on one of his 'I'm not going to eat any hay!' phases, I give him a bit of nice Oxbow Alfalfa.....which he ADORES.....and that usually gets him back into eating his hay again.

I'm quite sure that giving alfalfa cubes to my too caused them both to go into stasis and I will never feed it to them again.

Back