• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does hay last???

Zorro

Warren Scout
This may seem a bit of an odd question but how long does hay store for???

I give Zorro his hay daily & if there is any left over the next day, I replace it with fresh hay. It recently dawned on me that the left over hay is probably ok, afterall its not as though the hay I am adding has come from a fresher source, as it is all from the same bag, it just comes out of the cupboard!!!

Hmmm, maybe I should have thought about this a bit more before throwing away all that hay!!! :roll::lol::lol::lol:

I tend to top it up with fresh stuff every day but I empty their litter trays every couple of days or so and there is usually some left over in there

They hay that they dont eat is fine to leave in the hutch, after all towards the months of June / July most hay is almost a year old since it was harvested, spending a week in a hutch isnt a problem. If you hang it up above their litter tray it wont get messed on and just needs adding to on a daily basis.

yeah I have big boxes for mine (about 75cm long) and I top up with fresh handful of hay twice a day, as they won't eat old hay that's been sat on - so by the end of the week they have a really deep bed at the front of the tray, but the back of the tray is a toilet - If you give them 2 trays they usually keep one clean for a bed too :)

Back