• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pick up a bunny

stroke to reasure
position yourself behind the bun
left hand under tum
right hand under bum
lift and bring in close to you either:

holding with tummy inwards like a cat
holding tummy upwards like a baby
holding with head tucked into the crook of your arm...never tried this one but it works for some people.

hold for short periods at first and not very high off the ground.
reward with treats
allways keep their back legs well supported and if they start to kick out return to the ground as quickly and safely as you can.

Mine hate bring picked up- but oce they and safe and held against my chest or on my lap- ther are fine!

I get to the 'stroke to reassure' bit...
and they're off!!
Unless they are confined and cant!!

I have one (little rosie on the right of my siggi) who is like that. Vet was unwilling to VHD her until she was a little more "tame" :oops::oops::oops: The poor little mite has to be picked up and cuddled lots. There are three ways I found worked with her. Firstly a big towel, the second was a big box with two ends cut out which I popped over her so she couldn't run around then reached in and picked her out of the box. I can just about pick her up with food distraction now. It helps that she will now eat food in my arms so I think she's begining to think of it as more treat time.

holding with head tucked into the crook of your arm...never tried this one but it works for some people..
I carry Zakura like this. She pretty much chose it herself:roll: After I pick her up she'll immediately crawl underneath my arm:lol:
When she's got her head in there she stays perfectly still and is rather easy to carry, even with only one hand.

Back