• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mo wet between his back legs

Isabel

Warren Veteran
I've noticed for about a week that Mo seems to frequently be wet on his inner thigh area. He doesn't seem to sit for long periods in his litter tray but he does tend to groom a lot (probably because he is currently on his own I guess :roll:).

He's got megazorb in his litter tray and I change it every other day but its never soaking through I I don't think this is a problem. Any ideas?

Does he suffer from arthritis/ stiff joints?

He may not be able to adopt the correct posture for weeing, so is wetting on himself.

Does he suffer from arthritis/ stiff joints?

He may not be able to adopt the correct posture for weeing, so is wetting on himself.

there is no known arthritis however, he does walk strangely but I have always put this down to the fact that he has spent many years in a small cage :(. The only other clue is that sometimes when I picked him up one of his wrists click.

Perhaps that is it then, he's all stiff or doesn't have the strength. I'll mention it to the vets when I take him in about the mites. poor little raggy doll Mo.

He's about four. I'm not sure if he would be incontinent as he is inside and doesn't seem to be having accidents...except the obviously on purpose one :rolleyes: or could he still be incontinent without accidents outside of his tray?

If he was incontinent, he would pee anywhere...and would probably be much wetter. I have had the 'joy' of having 2 incontinent rabbits, and both lost their litter training quickly

I suppose it might be the start of a bladder infection, but I would expect messing outside the litter tray with that too.

hmmmm well at least that rules out incontinence then because he is very good at weeing in his litter tray now. Looks like its probably arthritis related but I will check it out with the vets.

Hi Isabel :wave:
I have a bunny with exactly the same symptoms but she has arthritis and cannot position herself properly to wee. As a result, her back left leg is affected and gets wet (she must be a bit lop sided).

I manage this by using the following litter tray.....
layer 1 newspaper
layer 2 megazorb
layer 3 a puppy training pad (was using Bob Martins which were £5 for a pack of 14 but have just bought a pack of 32 for £8.99 from Asda)
layer 4 hay.

I find this really works and the puppy training pads really soak up the wee and keep her dry.

Hi Isabel :wave:
I have a bunny with exactly the same symptoms but she has arthritis and cannot position herself properly to wee. As a result, her back left leg is affected and gets wet (she must be a bit lop sided).

I manage this by using the following litter tray.....
layer 1 newspaper
layer 2 megazorb
layer 3 a puppy training pad (was using Bob Martins which were £5 for a pack of 14 but have just bought a pack of 32 for £8.99 from Asda)
layer 4 hay.

I find this really works and the puppy training pads really soak up the wee and keep her dry.

Thats great thanks! I've got to pop to Asda tonight so I'll have a look for some. Bless my little boy.

Drat! I got it wrong... it was Wilkos not Asda :oops: (In my defence, I don't often go into Farnborough so am not familair with the shops :lol:)

Poor Mo, he doesnt have much luck does he, bless him. I'd go with Janes thinking and I'd be inclined to worm him anyway, just to be on the safe side. :D

:wave:

Poor Mo, he doesnt have much luck does he, bless him. I'd go with Janes thinking and I'd be inclined to worm him anyway, just to be on the safe side. :D

:wave:

I think I should probably cover all possibilities...they'll give me my own special seat there soon :rolleyes: I keep thinking they'll start thinking I've got munchhousens or however you spell it!

I think I should probably cover all possibilities...they'll give me my own special seat there soon :rolleyes: I keep thinking they'll start thinking I've got munchhousens or however you spell it!

:lol::lol: Yes, I have my own seat... my little girls will soon be calling the vet 'uncle'. :lol:

:lol::lol: Yes, I have my own seat... my little girls will soon be calling the vet 'uncle'. :lol:
I'm the same..I've been there almost every week for the last 4 months with Nia:lol: I'm at the stage now where I don't ask them what the bill is..they just tell me to put the credit card in the slot and then I look at the receipt when I get home:lol:

I'm the same..I've been there almost every week for the last 4 months with Nia:lol: I'm at the stage now where I don't ask them what the bill is..they just tell me to put the credit card in the slot and then I look at the receipt when I get home:lol:

ouch, that sounds painful then! Not been quite that bad with Mo but I do feel I'm getting a reputation.

Just got back from vets. It was mites, he has been shampooed and is now drying off nicely underneath the radiator. She also thinks the wetness between his legs could be linked to the mites and that he was frustrated because he couldn't reach where it was itching so over-groomed elsewhere. Fingers crossed that now that his teeth have been done, his eye sorted and now his mites, hopefully we'll have a break from the vets now. :D

Back