• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GMTV Rescue Rabbits

sarahlm

New Kit
Did anybody just see that item on GMTV about the 15 year old lad with 97 rescue animals?

He seemed like a really nice, caring lad - he gets up at 6 to feed them and let them out and then does 4-5 hours of cleaning out - but he had 38 rabbits and the ones they showed in the interview were medium lops in what looked like 3 ft cages. The rabbits looked healthy enough, but he said he let them out for 2 hours before school - thats 22 hours a day in a 3ft cage!

Any thoughts, or did anyone else see it?

I didn't see it. Did it say he was rehoming them, or just taking in? Ill check GMTV website

This was in my local paper last week it just said he had over 90 pets he has taken them in over the years sure it said he had 30 guniea pigs but like you said his garden looked quite small he has 6 dogs outside and all rabbits and guniea pigs in small hutches,not sure he rehomes them as it said they were his pets,apparently he lives in the same village as me!

Young Boy Rescues Animals - GMTV

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone saw GMTV this morning? There was a boy on there (maybe early teens) who rescued animals. He had around 90 I think and some were buns that were kept in cages in a shed. The cages looked tiny and the buns looked really unhappy... Surely GMTV shouldn't be promoting this sort of stuff even though I guess animal rescue was at the heart of the story.

I wasn't sure whether to complain to ITV, but not sure what exactly I'd be complaining about. The whole story just kind of bemused me... :?

Ive responded to this in another section, think welfare. I didn't see the programme and couldn't find it on their website. He is obviously a very dedicated boy, but does he rehome the bunnies. We could point him here which could help him.

I've just posted about this in General Chat - I didn't see your thread. I thought his heart seemed in the right place but the buns looked so cramped and sad. Maybe we should write to ITV but not sure what to say about it. Poor buns, but I guess the care hes giving them is better than them being harmed in other ways. :?:cry:

I didn't see it but that's an awful lot of pets to care for when he hit's his later teens and wants to be seeing a bit of the world. :?

Not just me that thought OMG when I saw it :shock:
I believe totally his heart is in the right place - and although the bunnies didnt look 'ill' or under weight - the cage sizes were far to small! and how on earth at 15 does he provide 30 + rabbits with vaccinations a year :shock: let alone anything else - and the dogs kind of looked a bit :(

I saw that too, he was 15 with 97 pets :shock::shock:
Agree about the rabbits cages, looked well small, can't see how they'd all go out for a run either :?
Bless his heart for trying but I think he's gone a bit too far

at least he is looking after them more than others do who are a lot older than him, I say good luck to him, even if cages are small so what apparantly they are imacculately clean

at least he is looking after them more than others do who are a lot older than him, I say good luck to him, even if cages are small so what apparantly they are imacculately clean

even if cages are small so what apparantly they are imacculately clean

I really don't think that is the point. Exercise and freedom to move around is a right not a luxury:?.

even if cages are small so what apparantly they are imacculately clean

But there's more to rabbit care than clean cages. It would be ok as a temporary measure if they were being taken from worse conditions and were in short transition to a new home but not as a permanent measure in my opinion. Rabbits need far more stimulation than the rest of their life alone in a small pen.

He is on central news now! Will update with my opinion when I have watched it :D

It is a shame he doesnt re home them.

Last edited:
I saw it, I was going to post a thread about it. The hutches looked tiny. There was this one bun sat there looking out the hutch... And I bet they were all scared to death with the camera crew there!

But- he's only 15, so he must still have to go to school? How does he find all the time to care for all those animls individually?

Ok the cages are small, but in fairness to him...at least he's trying to help? :D

Them poor buns could be in alot worse place, Maybe he lets them have a run around in the evenings after school? I saw the news said that he spends his evenings with them. :D

Ok the cages are small, but in fairness to him...at least he's trying to help? :D

Them poor buns could be in alot worse place, Maybe he lets them have a run around in the evenings after school? I saw the news said that he spends his evenings with them. :D
Awww bless him.I agree,they could be in alot worse place.

Back