• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunnies scared of meat cooking?!

karen1980

Mama Doe
I turned veggie in January this tyear.

Ive been using the meat up on my boyfriend (he's not turned veggie)and Ive noticed the last 3 time sIve cooked meat Lily's eyes are poppping out on stalks she's wide eyed petrified and thinks we're going to put her in the pot.

Just wondered if anyones house bunnies behave like this when meat is being cooked?

Im guessing the reason is the smell and it smells like danger as they're herbivores.

any ideas?

Hmmmm dont know, I guess its possible.
My house buns aren't bothered no matter what we cook. They're just terrified of the hoover! :roll::lol:
My outdoor buns aren't bothered by the smell of a bonfire or BBQ either :?
Whereas I think that smell does upset some peoples buns on here x

Alvin is scared of nothing :roll: he stood right next to ste last night as he used the food processor, poor pearl was darting about the house terrified...

i havent noticed a fear of food from either of them, they are usually too busy begging :roll:

Maybe she's just curious of the unfamiliar smell? or the smell of the cooking makes her think of larger animals?
I haven't noticed any difference in my rabbits as Sasuke lives upstairs in my room and the girls live outside (at the moment Aroma isn't even at the property:lol: She's been moved to a more suitable hutch at school)

My bunnies are indoor bunnies for another few weeks and I've noticed since they've been in the house that cooking meat does seem to upset them and they hide in their igloo when we cook!

When I kept Benny in the kitchen he was absolutely petrified when I cooked anything - partly the smell (they don't like change, and it changes their environment) and partly the sizzling noise - just freaked him out if I fried stuff :shock:

we had to leave the buns in their pen will after we eat because zola tries to steal from our plates! if someone walks in with food, he's there!! he jumps up between us and is a stubborn little burger!!

id say mine definately arent scared of food smells!!!!

we had to leave the buns in their pen will after we eat because zola tries to steal from our plates! if someone walks in with food, he's there!! he jumps up between us and is a stubborn little burger!!

id say mine definately arent scared of food smells!!!!

Snap, that's what mine are like. Although ours are small enough to just block them from the plate.

Perhaps if your oven is a bit smokey they think that a fire is imminent. I don't think it would be the smell of meat persay, since we are the only animals that cook meat it wouldn't be in their nature to be wary of it.

I'm vegetarian and my husband rarely eats meat at home... but I've never noticed Toby being worried when he has the odd Saturday morning fry-up. However, Toby seems to hate kitchens.... in the more than 3 years he's been with us he's only set foot in the kitchen once... and he has the run of the whole downstairs! I wonder if he doesn't like vinyl for some reason... our old house has laminate floor, so he's fine on hard floors...

They're just terrified of the hoover! :roll::lol:

Strangely, Toby seems quite attached to our very noisy dyson hoover - he follows it around when we're doing the hoovering! :D

I'm vegetarian and my husband rarely eats meat at home... but I've never noticed Toby being worried when he has the odd Saturday morning fry-up. However, Toby seems to hate kitchens.... in the more than 3 years he's been with us he's only set foot in the kitchen once... and he has the run of the whole downstairs! I wonder if he doesn't like vinyl for some reason... our old house has laminate floor, so he's fine on hard floors...

Strangely, Toby seems quite attached to our very noisy dyson hoover - he follows it around when we're doing the hoovering! :D

:lol: Ours is a Dyson too but you'd never catch Hazel following it around, he runs and hides under his plastic step stool and wont come out til I've finished! :lol: I think Toby needs to have a word in Hazel's ear!

my housebun always stops and lifts her ears when she hears things getting chopped........she thinks it's more food for her..........but she doesn't like the hoover either...........

Mine chase the hoover too :lol:

Mine dont seem bothered by cooking at all, but I tend to shut the kitchen door when im cooking just because they are always at my feet I dont want tripping up when im cooking :lol:

Mine don't like the smell of meat cooking, but what they hate most is the smell of things like garlic. Basically any strong smells.

Mine also dislike strong smells like fish, garlic etc, often they'll just stay in their room for the night if they can smell it.

Mine just hate the dinger of the cooker timer, that sends them running for cover :rolleyes: They are not to fond of hoovers either but they will tolerate it until it gets to within about 3 ft, then they scarper.

Eve does not like anything that may be burning a little to her, whether veggie or meat.

Scruffy is less bothered by food. They are only just starting to wander into the kitchen a little, but if I start cooking they go elsewhere.

Mine aren't bothered by food or cooking whatsoever. The thing that DOES wind them up and make them hide is when my neighbour lights one of his infamous and HIGHLY irritating bonfires and smokes the whole neighbourhood out!!!:evil: :evil:

Mine don't care, whatever I cook they try to eat :lol::lol::lol:. I caught Daisy with her head in the bin, licking a cream cake wrapper the other day :roll::lol:.

Back