• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Project get Arthur a wife!

Kay

Mama Doe
OK so I intend this post to be like a blog of our journey to get Arthur a companion.

Story so far...

Two weeks ago Arthur was neutered so another two weeks to go before he can be bonded.

01/03/08 - Took a good hard look at Arthur's hutch. Its 5ftx2ftx2ft ok a bit small but I always thought it to be sturdy. However, after having a really good look I pulled the roof off and was shocked how thin the sides really were. Took a trip to Wickes and brought some Weathered pannelling and set to work panelling the back of the hutch. With this extra layer it should be warmer in winter and cooler in Summer. I painted each piece first on both sides and let them dry before attaching to the hutch. Pleased with the result although I forgot to buy a saw and now have a 1ft overlap at one end.

06/03/08 decided I could no longer keep kidding myself that Arthur is 100% safe all day in the open topped Zooplus run I brought for him. So I ordered a bargain basement 5ftx2ftx5ft run from Happy Hutch. Bored at work I want to be home working on the hutch.

08/03/08 Bit annoyed that the run I've ordered still hasn't turned up but company assure me it will be here Monday now. Went to the Rabbit Residence with my partner and my little boy. Was a bit shocked at how small and open the place was. Met Caroline the owner who is a very lively woman. She showed us the 3 single female buns she had, although she was unsure of ages. We fell in love with one called 'Spice' who's age seems to be around the 2/3 years old mark. Not counting on her though as the other bun we'd reserved had been bonded. I feel a bit disillusioned with the whole rescue process at the moment. There seems to be no organisation and I feel like my heart will be broken if I get too attached to one bun and find its been rehomed. Although I hate to admit it I can see why people get put off Rescues and go elsewhere. I handed all my forms in a few weeks ago but Caroline had forgotten all the information I'd provided and I felt a bit down when we left.

09/03/08 At last a sunny afternoon to finish the hutch off. Brought more cladding and reinforced the sides of the hutch again treating them first and nailing them in place. Arthur wasn't very happy that he couldn't get to his hutch while the treatment dried. The hutch looks good and feels stronger, plus the roof no longer comes off so easily which is a good thing in this windy weather. I have started to bunny proof the garden this envolves digging 12" trenches along the fence and burying galvenised wire attaching it to the bottom of the fence. Then using a mixture of soil and stones compacting the ground down again. Luckily our garden only has about 12" of top soil and then you hit hardcore from the old building that was here before.

10/03/08 The run arrived woohoo! Not bad for £39.95 but I would have been disappointed if I'd paid the full price and not the bargain basement price, it needs some reinforcing. Have decided to block the back and sides of the hutch in which will give the run another 2ft so the over all size will be 8ftx5ftx2ft not bad seeing as this is only for the times we go out and there is no one to supervise. Went back to Wickes for some strong metal brackets to attach the run sides together and then attaching to the hutch. Now I am using the hutch as well I have a spare panel so need to find a use for that.

Jobs to do:
-Paint the run the same colour as the hutch.
-Attach the run to the hutch.
-Attach the fox proof wire to the back and sides of the hutch.
-Somehow create a door in the run or using one of the sides of the hutch so the buns can have access to the whole garden.

Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job there. Hopefully before long you will have a nicely married bunny couple.

Ok next installment :D

11/03/08 - Had the day off work so set to on the run. Normally I would wood treat everybit but this has already been treated and just needs painting at a later date to match the hutch. So started this morning with the flat pack hutch in the living room. Note the bag of Wagg rabbit food - my friend won't have it that we are happy with Science Selective and brought me it! :roll: any want the Wagg? its yours. Anyway after a brief chat with Darth Varder :lol: I set to.

Picture102.jpg

I'd brought some strong metal brackets and started fixing them in place, it was quite easy and before long we ended up with this: (note foreman Arthur helping out :D )

Picture103.jpg

After deciding against wooden slats across the back of the hutch I went with fox proof wire and then finer rodent proof wire, horseshoe tacked into place and finally nailed a piece of thick wood across the bottom for extra strenght. (photos to follow at a later date)

After shifting the hutch back into position I got the roof in place. I wanted the wooded section of the roof over the hutch doors to protect the inside of the hutch from the rain. Screwed one section of the roof allowing the others to be lifted. Need to work out some kind of catch system to stop a predator getting in.

Picture105.jpg

Almost finished now if you note the square planter and course wire..well that is where the door will go to allow them supervised access to the garden. I am working on a Slide up door, but need to work out how to stop Arthur being able to push it up.

After watching the entire saga of Lord of the Rings we are calling Arthur's house 'Rivendell'.

Looks like a good bit of DIY extension, loads of extra room :D

Can I make one suggestion, the triangle gap where the slope is? I'd suggest getting a bit of wood and cutting triangles to attach to the side of the run to cover those. It makes it a bit more secure. I had little gaps similar to that and thought no way could the bunnies get out. A dog got in the garden, paniced them and one chose that moment to decide they could squeeze through the gap and get out. All fine but taught me to watch out for the little gaps :D

Another option, I've seen people with the hutch facing outwards, that way the run would tuck under the back edge of the hutch. Then have a little door in the back of the hutch for him to access the run.

Tam

Thanks Tasmin, its not finished yet and I was wondering what to do with the triangle gaps. They are only there because the hutch door was open. Trying to get some wood that is deep enough to fit if I can't then I was thinking of fixing some wire flaps and framing then with wooden edges, and screwing them to the roof. It needs to be properly secure though before I am happy to let him in it unsupervised. I was thinking of creating a stable door effect with the solid door. Its no longer the sleeping area because Arthur was just using it as a toilet. Or perhaps I can make a catflap style in the door! :lol: lots more to think about.

My DIY skills are rubbish but I'm determind not to let it become a bodge job :lol:

Ahh, I thought it was the edge of the roof propping it open.

You could swap the hinge on one of the doors to the bottom and it would open downwards like a ramp. Just fix a piece of wood across on the inside on the doorframe at the top to fill in the gap that would be there otherwise.

Tam

Tasmin your a star that is *****y brilliant! :D re-hinge the door!

That is perfect thank you so much, sometimes you need another view to see what you just can't! I think Arthur would love a ramp :D

I hope so :D I have never had a posh bunny set-up before. I feel pleased that I have given Arthur an extra 2 foot, plus I am rather impressed at my DIY skills. I can't wait to show my Dad he won't believe I did it! I used to call him to change my light bulbs :oops: :lol:

At the moment I am the same colour as the hutch :lol: dropped great blobs of paint on my hands.

25-03-08 so the Hutch and Run are finally done, ok I have a few little bits to do but here it is:

Picture142.jpg

After I'd painted it my OH said it looked like a Jaffa Cake due to the light inner and dark outer. So we named it 'The Jaffa Cake Cottage' here's the door so the rabbit postman knows where to deliver! haha. The name needs a few more coats to make it really stand out.

Picture143.jpg

I have made it so the run can detach from the hutch for ease of cleaning.

Good news is that I have found Arthur another potential wife, just waiting for Caroline to have space to hopefully bond them.

So now I just need to paint the hinges black, re-paint the sign again, and tidy up the wire sides - re-hinging the door wouldn't work as the door was too short to touch the floor so the wire sides have been moulded instead.

Last edited:
so bored without Arthur here that I re-decorated the inside of his hutch.

From this:

Picture167.jpg

to this:

Picture184.jpg

:lol::lol: goodness knows what I'll get up to next :roll: :lol:

Lol well I figured it was more cheerful than the wood.

Homely Hutches! hahaha I wonder if that would get decent ratings! lol

Lol well I figured it was more cheerful than the wood.

Homely Hutches! hahaha I wonder if that would get decent ratings! lol

"Hi, welcome to Homely Hutches on Living TV. This week we'll be following Arthur as he turns his bachelor pad into a cosy home to share his new lady wife." :lol::lol:

Back