• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this enough pellets?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
I've never managed to understand how much to feed and ended up over feeding :oops: so now i am worried i am underfeeding! :oops: each one of these bowls is for one rabbit:
008-1.jpg

they get a bucket of hay a day and two handfuls of veggies a week

I'd say so. I give about the same if not a few less. Like you I feed tonnes of hay and abit of veg.

well im not an expert but i was told one handful..as much as your hand will hold in morn n same at night plus lots of hay! if it looks a bit borin try mixing some herbs mix (mines from pets at home) in the natural section looks and smells so lovely n natural... to give them some interesting meals.i aways mix it in there night feed

they get mixed dried herbs on it :) and sometimes a couple of oats :D but i soak the oats first tos top them swelling in their stomach

mine get about that amount of pellets, except for Benny who gets half that as he's a bit podgy now he's over 4yrs old, and they all get slightly less at bedtime too, just to give me time to refresh water and hay - but they all get their own body size in hay every day, which is the recommeded amount, which I split into 2 bundles so they have a fresh pile morning and evening. And I give a small amount of veg daily, just as a treat to cheer them up - plus it's less likely to upset their tums if it's on a daily basis too :)

My vet recommends an egg cup full per bunny :) Mine get a little more in winter to keep them a bit more well padded for the cold weather.

Mine get less than that. My vet is pro the natural diet and would probably be happier if I gave them no pellets but that makes me feel mean :oops:

i must be well over feeding harvey as we were told he gets about 6 times that once a day x he is not overweight x he is a large bunny x

Glad you started this thread Beth,I have been meaning to photograph Oscars pellts now to see what other peeps thought, seems like I've been giving the same amounts as everyone else (although Oscar would always have a few more);) Glad to think I'm doing the right thing.

As others have said that looks about right! My vet reccommended a tablespoon a day.

You say you feed two handfulls of veg a week - do you feed them veg every day or just twice a week? It's best to feed them consistently each day, thus giving them veg each day (along with the hay you're already giving of course).

If it too wet or dark for my two to go out onto the lawn I sometime give them a bowl of grass (yes I ship nice long strands with a pair of scissors :oops:) - this is normally popular!

Hannah

I grow grass for them and my lot love it.

Lilly and Marsha have a small handful each, and veg and hay everday. They get a small handful of pellets at bed time too.

Bailey gets more or less the same, sometimes slightly less pellets as he needs encouragement with hay.

x

Mine get more than that...one small handful of SS and one small handful of A&P.

I think it depends on the size and age of the rabbit. My elderly rabbits would waste away on an eggcup full :?

Amy

I thought most people gave vegetables every day? I would have thought twice a week would upset their tums? :?

I've never managed to understand how much to feed and ended up over feeding :oops: so now i am worried i am underfeeding! :oops: each one of these bowls is for one rabbit:
008-1.jpg

they get a bucket of hay a day and two handfuls of veggies a week
Did you mean the bit about veges twice a week?. Mine have an eggcup of pellets between them once a day, unlimited hay and grasstime during daylight hours. If they've been confined to the hutch/run combo on the patio then they have a good handful of greens twice a day, but if they've been grazing on the grass for most of the day they get just an extra leaf of spring greens and a small peice of other veg each in the evening.

Mine get more than that :oops: But neither are overweight and they eat tons of hay and veg every night so I think it's what's right for your rabbits that counts

Back