• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! messy buns!

shel20

Alpha Buck
Messy cages! Hi guys, my two bobby and alfie are in indoor cages with hay and sawdust but everytime they jump out they just take half the saw dust out on their little feet and leave a giant mess and i spend all the time with the dust pan and brush in hand! they have a hay house which they loovveee, from the range but at pets at home too! its in a sphere made of hay with holes all around and love to sit in it and peep out!Anyway..i dont mind the hay mess but the sawdust does my head in! i tried replacing the floor covering with cushions but they just got pooped on! please help any suggestions on tidy-ish living solutions for indoor bunnies! before me and the buns get kicked out by my oher half! lol ha

I used newspaper instead of shavings, they did my head in and some think shavings aren't too good for buns.

I now use carpet tiles and paper based litter in his toilet.

I know its a nighmare! then u pick them up and its all over u! lol...do they not just dig and shred the paper? i reackon my two would prob poop on the carpet? how about lino?

When i had a house rabbit I just used newspaper, but he was litter trained, you could always change it daily if it gets wet, and sweep up the poops.
A piece of carpet will be great I have a square of carpet in Tilly's hutch, this is great if they don't chew it.
Then just have a hay rack for the hay.

well thats it the cushions just got chewed too despite the endless bits n bobs they have to chew on! little monkeys! mine do wee in the litter and most poos but still do the odd few on the floor!

You could try vetbed, I use it in the hutch and put hay in the hayracks next to the litter trays and in the litter trays, Charlie used to chew it but he stopped once he was neutered and bonded with Poppy

Yeah, indoors, sawdust or woodshavings are really not a goer! i have offcuts of carpet in Thor's crate but I also have a backup supply of vetbed, got it cheap from the factory that makes it! I've also got some fleece type stuff folded up underneath my desk and he loves to sit there and be cosy.

Why not go without the sawdust on the cage floor and put either newspaper or paper based cat litter just in the litter trays with some hay in them to munch on at the front. I use Bio Catolet cat litter which is good and you will probably be able to go a couple of days without changing it as it is very absorbant whereas newspaper would be a daily change job I think. My bunny used to just push the sawdust away anyway as he preferred to sit on the plastic rather than the sawdust. If you want bunny to sit on something other than the plastic floor, you could cut a strip of lino to size and place it in there without sticking it down, I do this for my hamster when he has a run about in the bath so he doesn't damage the bath and he is happy enough with it!

Toby had wood shavings for the first couple of years we had him.... but after a long think, and considering that fact that he ALWAYS choses to relax on hard surfaces outside his cage, we moved to newspaper. Toby seems to prefer it and it works better with his occasional poop problems, as the wood shavings would sometimes get stuck to his bottom! He's fully litter trained so has a BIG litter tray as well - works great, and since it's got quite high sides the newspaper doesn't ever get wet!

Yes, we used to sweep the wooden floors in our old house about 3 times a day to pick up the sawdust - we now have carpet so it's only the hay that gets around... :)

Blue has shavings in his litter tray and hay too, he has lino in his crate......if i take his litter tray out before him or without him he will try to chew the lino, but..................we've learnt from our mistakes, so he comes out when his tray does, i find lino is great, it just wipes clean if there's any accident which tbh there isn't. In his room downstairs (yes his very own room!!), he has a rug that belonged to my gran, which covers the whole of his room, he loves lying on it :D

Well guys thanks for all your advice! i spent this evening cleaning out the cages and sawdust and had a rummage in my cupboards and found two old large bath mats, the bobbly fabric ones and they both unbelievably fit into the bottom of the cages! iv put newspaper underneath and so far just a few poops but mainly stil in the litter trays which iv put sawdust in the botton (i have a huge big bag i dont want to waste) covered with hay!so fingers crossed no wees and ill just be able to sweep up the poops!! and iv just put news paper in their bed ares as they never poop in there! lets wait and see! but anythings better than a kitchen full of sawdust and me on my hands n knees every 5 sweeping shavings! ha

Well guys thanks for all your advice! i spent this evening cleaning out the cages and sawdust and had a rummage in my cupboards and found two old large bath mats, the bobbly fabric ones and they both unbelievably fit into the bottom of the cages! iv put newspaper underneath and so far just a few poops but mainly stil in the litter trays which iv put sawdust in the botton (i have a huge big bag i dont want to waste) covered with hay!so fingers crossed no wees and ill just be able to sweep up the poops!! and iv just put news paper in their bed ares as they never poop in there! lets wait and see! but anythings better than a kitchen full of sawdust and me on my hands n knees every 5 sweeping shavings! ha

Don't worry about the poops. Once they're neutured they should start using a litter tray and be a bit tidier

we have dog crates and we line them with cheap lino offcuts:lol:
you have to be sure they dont chew it though! failing that megazorb or carefresh is good and i think you shouldnt use sawdust /shavings because our bun vet said its been linked to liver problems in buns and rats:cry:

Back