• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i split?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
Crystal and Misty have been bonded for a couple of months now 8 weeksish they were all lovey dovey at first but the last 2 weeks have been horrible Misty is continuously mounting Crystal they've had 1 fight which resulted in a big chunk of fur being ripped off Crystals nose but no serious injuries i witnessed 2am this morning Misty Mounting Crystal then Crystal attacking Misty, Misty ended up running away... the big wimp he is so no fight actually broke out. Crystals at the vets now getting an xray i took Misty with her so that they stayed together my question is should i consider separating? their seems to be no sign of them calming down with each other its like they hate each other one minute then love each other the next i fear Crystal has had enough... and when crystal gets :censored: off she will hurt the rabbit she is :censored: off with and i fear that something may happen when im at work :? but theres no way i can keep 3 separate rabbits due to space :(

xx

What a horrible dilemma - there is always the fear that something will happen when you are away from home.

Our Holly is being a bit of a madam at the moment tho she has settled this week. I assume your bunnies are spayed/castrated. I am sure at this time of the year when Spring is in the air there is more dominance issues going on hence the mounting.

I hope your bun's settle down - do they sit together, eat together at other times - if so then the bonding has not completely fallen apart. However I think if I had got to a point where actual fighting takes place and blood is drawn then I would be wanting to split them up.

I feel for you having to make a decision. I so hope things improve,
Vanessa xx

they still eat together but Crystal has a habit of covering the water bottle when ever Misty wants a drink delibratly though! but ive purchased in an extra water bottle so their isnt a problem there they often lay together as well but no grooming, both are neutered you could be right about it being Spring though :?

alot of ppl have seen bonded couples act like this recently. i saw peanut humping jelly the other day and as she ran off he was just attatched 2 her!!

Hi,
I am not very experienced in bonded as have only bonded my 2 and the same thing happened, They were fine for a couple of months then Rupert just kept trying to hump Bailey to the point that he wouldnt leave her alone at all. I rung the rescue home where I had just got Bailey from and they said it might be because it is spring therefore mating season(it was exactly this time last year!(. I was really confused as to why Bailey wasnt "telling him off" because she was definately the boss out of the pair of them.
In the end I had to seperate them because he wouldnt leave her alone just for a second, if she was seeing him off I would have prob left them together. After they had been seperated for a while (I cant remember whether it was days or weeks) I tried them together again and they just started to fight straight away to the extent that when I managed to grab one of the the other was hanging on by its teeth!!! Since then I havent tried them together again allthough they do see each other because they are both in indoor cages so see the other on when I let them out to play and they do sit near each other.
Like I said before I am not experienced in bonding at all so dont know whether I should have seperated mine or not but I just felt like I couldnt bear to leave them together any longer because he wasnt giving her a secongs peace, bot even to eat or go to the toilet!! I hope this helps you and somebody more experienced could advise you on the correct thing to do!!
Goodluck x x x

Back