• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hugs for my Bunny

mystic.kitty

Mama Doe
Fishcake has gone in to be neutered today, I'm a nervous wreck. So hugs for my bun would be good.

This afternoon we are going to split up their hutch to keep him away from Haggis for a few days while he recovers, thank goodness for two story hutches it makes life much easier when you have to split them up.

lots of bunny hugs coming your way!! :wave:

i was a complete state when Toby was neutered.... had to go straight to school to teach after dropping him at the vets and i nearly didn't make it in as I was so upset!!

The nurse could see I was upset so called me as soon as he was out of surgery just to assure me he was fine.

I'm sure Fishcake will be fine :)

Incase anyone was wonering Fishcake is home and has a collar on him, which I wasn't expecting at all, poor thing looks very sorry for himself.

Have separated him from Haggis and need to keep them apart for about four days, so will put them back together on Friday, which is also when his collar can come off.

I won't have any problems will I when I put them back together, as I have separated my bunnies, I don't want them fighting when they go back together, just after some reassurance that they will be as peaceful as they were before they were split up. The can't see each other at the moment, one is in the top part of the hutch the other is in the bottom.

Is there any reason you have split them up?? I would really keep them together if they are a bonded pair. They should really have gone into the vets together too but I'm not sure if you vet allowed that? I think they should never be split, that includes vet visits etc....

hmmm.... don't want to question your vet, but to be honest a vet who was interested in rabbit behaviour would know that by splitting them up you run the risk of their bond being broken. I guess it's a personal thing...anyway, besides that I would put them back together. I've had many buns neutered and never had the problem of the other chewing the stitches out.... A trip to the vet can be enough to break up a solid bond. The rescue all of my buns came from took my bonded pair off me for a week so the buck could have a hernia op done by their vet (francis Harcourt Brown) and didn't for some reason take the doe with him 9if I had known that was going to happen they wouldn't have gone there)....this resulted in her attacking him continuously when he came back and their bond being permanantly broken. He never retaliated which was good but she learnt that she could bully him and it just wouldn't work...I tried for six months to rebond them. I wouldn't keep my bunnies apart and would perhaps bring them indoors so you can keep an eye on them.

The vet advised me to split them so that Haggis doesn't nibble at Fishcakes stitches.

They often find it stressful to be seperate from their partner and it can hinder their recovery.

I very rarely have rabbits nibble their own stitches (we dont use collars if at all possible as they prevent ceacal consumption) and have never seen a partner doing it.

The partner instinctively knows the other rabbit is not well and in my experince adapts their behaviour accordingly and is often extra attentive. :)

I have never seperated my buns from their bonded one except for really severe medical problems (Willows gut surgery) and even then it was just a day.

Also I have heard that rabbits should only have 'collars' in truly exceptional circumstances as it has so many difficulties re eating caecals and apparently also stresses them enormously.

Anyone else on this?

Also I have heard that rabbits should only have 'collars' in truly exceptional circumstances as it has so many difficulties re eating caecals and apparently also stresses them enormously.

Anyone else on this?

You really need to start reading my posts :no:

:lol::lol::lol:

Back