• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two Vaccinations?!?

Kibbles

Mama Doe
Just called a vet today to ask for the Vaccination Price... £22 for Myxi.
What is VHD? Is it as bad and as common as Myxi? Is it essential to have that vaccination?!? :shock:

im not that knowledgeable with VHD but im pretty sure it doesnt show any symptoms so you cant treat it. please someone correct me if im wrong.

my buns have both and they had vhd first because myxi is *usually* more common in summer because its transmitted by flys and vhd is an all year round thing. have you tried googling VHD?

In that case its £40 for both vaccinations... Although when separated, its not too much; so I'll get Starsky vaccinated for myxi first, as I have to do it this month; Does VHD need vaccinating against every 6 months, too? :shock:

VHD is once a year, myxi twice a year.
If Starsky hasnt been vaccinated before (or for at least 9 months) and is 9 months old, you could use this website to find vets in your area which will offer the myxi vaccination at a discounted price. You just print out the voucher :D

http://www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk/

VHD is an important vaccination and i do strongly reccommend that you vaccinate starsky against this. Phone more than one vets and ask what there prices are for the VHD vaccination.

Yeah, I was going to get one of those vouchers so that he can have a free vaccination in 6 months, because he's only 7 months old.

Although I've just confused myself, because counting up from October 2nd, he'd be only 5 months... But I was positive he was 6 months in February :shock:

Try phoning some other vets, not sure lying about his age to them would do any good. Without giving away too much information, where abouts in the uk are you?

phone around because the vets 5 mins away from me charged £22 each vacc, and then a £36 consultation on top!!

the vets half an hour away from me, is £11 including a consultation 4 free!

im not that knowledgeable with VHD but im pretty sure it doesnt show any symptoms so you cant treat it. please someone correct me if im wrong.

All the people I have known whose rabbits have contracted this have been diagnosed on post mortem. Many of the rabbits who die from this never get diagnosed which is why many people who are not quite so informed have never heard that it is a problem.

I would ring around to get comparison on prices and also try to find a vet that is rabbit friendly. I have my cat with one vet and my rabbits with another. I have just had my 2 rabbits done for myxi and it cost me £28.50 in total. That included a thorough check up as well as a free nail clipping for one. There was no consultation fee.

My vet happens to be a fellow rabbit lover and a member on this forum so I have been lucky in my choice.

Hope you manage to get them sorted soon.

Good luck.

This afternoon had a myxi for Alfie and vhd for Marble, total bill £12. (And another examination of Alfie)
My vets are encouraging all vaccinations at the moment so are doing 1/2 price at the moment.

I'm in the same area as ARC :D

I'll call around... Do VHD vaccinations have to be renewed every 6 months like myxi?

VHD is only once a year, and myxi is either every 6 months or every year depending on how high risk an area you are in.

If Starsky was to catch VHD he'd be dead with 72 hours, very few noticable symptoms and no treatment, he'd just be in a lot of pain and a vet would instantly have him pts, so it's vital to have him vaccinated against it.

My vets charge £17.32 for each vaccination.

check out a few different vets, obviously you dont want to go with one cos theyre cheap if they wont do the job properly, but mine only cost £25 for both vaccs.

Back