• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much bonking?

brightspark19

Warren Scout
I know this may seem weird but i think Oscar has a bonking problem.

I rescued him from my neighbour who kept him in a hutch for 2 1/2 years with very little hman contact, no food/bedding/water for weeks at a time and now he is the most grateful bunny ever. He is so lovely and cuddly and just loves to run around the garden.

I adopted Elsa from the p@h adoption because she was given in for being beaten uo by her sister and had various deep cuts and was weary of humans. She didnt even have a name. Now she and Oscar are an item and as much as they love each other,im a little worried.

When we got elsa, they couldnt tell me whether she had been spayed or not and the only way they can find out is if they operate. Oscar has been neuted though but the problem is that he is constantly 'bonking' Elsa at every opportunity. He is 1/3 of the size of her and he get on her back and pulls out her fur from by her neck. She sometimes grunts at him to stop but otherwise they seem fine.

The question is, is oscar like this because he was deprived of contact for so long? or is it because Elsa may not be spayed? And is there any harm in leaving them to get on with it?

How long have they been together? It's quite normal as part of making friends and it usually decreases gradually over a week or so after introduction.

Also, how long has he been neutered? It takes awhile for the hormones to settle down.

Tamsin

My Lola and Rory have been bonded for 15 days nows and he humps her all the time. He, like in your situation, is smaller than Lola and pulls fur out when he's gripping her. She tolerates this though. As long as you girl bunny has somewhere to have a rest from it (a hiding box or something like that) she should be okay. Spring Fever is also in the air for bunnies and they get a bit friskier.

Could you ask your vet to shave the girls tum to see if she has a scar? Without having to have surgery this may help solve the mystery of the spay. The girl's hormone levels will be quite high if she hasn't be spayed and may be adding to the issue:)

Back