• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starsky NEVER Poops in his Litter Box!!!

Kibbles

Mama Doe
Yes, I am going to get him some litter. But he doesn't even take one corner!
When he poops, he does it ALL over the place. I pick them all up and put them in his litter box. I'll go out there later, and again he'll have pooped ALL over the place! Is this territory marking? Because he is going through 'bunny puberty' :shock:

And where is that mega or whatever the litter is called(sorry, forgot the name...) sold? :?

ETA: Just remembered that it's called Megazorb... i think.

Last edited:
Is he a house rabbit. I have one bunny who does everything in his tray and my french lops decorate the whole floor. Someone once told me that I gave them too much space too soon and that if I had confined them to an area, they probably would have been litter trained. Poops don't bother me as the wee goes in the tray, I just sweep up first thing in the morning and a couple of other times throughout the day.

He will probably always wee and poo everywhere unless you can persuade your mum to get him neutered. Males will also spray wee up the hutch walls which will mean lots of cleaning and scrubing for you, oh dear!

Are you serious? I mean, I know they spray but there are a lot of people with unneutered boys who are litter trained... The fact is that he was going to be neutered, but right now its not an option.

I've got 5, unspayed, litter-trained females, who had never seen a litter tray till I got them, and who became immediately 'trained' - so it is possible! However you have to give them 2 boxes, as they often like to keep one clean for a 'bed' - both containing a couple inches of litter, and a couple handfuls of fresh hay. Mine started off with storage boxes as the sides are nice and high to keep the mess in, and they can't just sit on the floor next to the box and eat the hay - they HAVE to jump in the box to eat the hay. Alternatively if you can't fit a big underbed box in your hutch, put a row of cat litter trays in, wall to wall - you can remove some when you find out which one is the favourite for a toilet.

However I have one quirky bunny - Maa - she won't mess in a tray if it contains any hay - took me ages to figure that one out and meanwhile she used the floor next to her box :roll: Now she has a tiny cat litter tray next to her big box with hay in, and she just goes to the loo in that, so it's easy to empty and wipe round every day - I just put a handful of litter in it.

I think females are generally cleaner than males though Elve. Dexter was really bad for spraying wee everywhere before he was neutered.

Starsky may get better at using the litter tray as he gets older. They are usually more messy in Spring as well so later on in the year he may get better.

zola also sprayed wee everywhere before we got him done! safe to say he was done within a week of having him :lol:

ETA because i pressed submit too soon!

ours had a relapse recently so now they dont have any food or drink unless they are in a litter tray. the water bottles are above the tray as are both hay baskets.

Well, Starsky is actually a very clean bun, not at all dominant, and has never sprayed. He usually poops in just one corner, but since his Profleece, he's started pooping everywhere; but I thought this must be because he's going through his 'stages of puberty' :?
He's only got hay in his litter box, so I think that has a lot to do with it, as he only ever wants to eat it. I'll try to get another box :?

It is probably the change of bedding. He is being territorial and hopefully this should settle down.

Elves suggestion of more litter boxes will be a good way to go. I got small cat litter ones for the hutch, they are around £2 each. Put hay at one end of each box and when he starts to use them, he should only poo in them. You can then gradually remove them one by one until he just has one. :D

My Ben uses his box regularly, but is often a little naughty. Thats boys for you :roll:

when i added vetbed was when the buns started weeing and pooing everywhere!!!

i took it out and sorted them out and am hoping to put it back in soon.

Usually you can buy megazorb from Equestrian suppliers. Its approx £5 for a large sack. Its not compacted like shavings but usually lasts a while. You could you shavings or shredded paper in the litter boxes also.

Back