• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home?

shel20

Alpha Buck
Noticed a few negative points bout pets at home? a lot of ppl seem to not like it? new bunny owner of two little adorable buns! alfie n bobby! just wondered what the issue was, i buy loads of stuff from there pellets toys ect...i got both my buns from there i just saw them and didnt want any old person to have them..love at first sight! i did look at bleakholt for a rescue bunny but fell in love with my two! i feel bad now for gettin them from there if everyone hates it! argh...feel bad!

Hey :wave:

Don't feel bad, not all the Pets at Home stores are *that* bad, its like anything some are better than others.

There are a couple of members on here that work for them ;)

I also got my bunny from Pets at Home. I think the issue has a lot to do with breeding bunnies for money. As many people on this forum dedicate their time to running rescues, they end up taking in many of the bunnies that people buy on a whim and then giving them up when the novelty wears off and they realise the commitment needed.

Many of them would be happier with Pets at Home if it stopped selling bunnies or did some sort of home check first.

Luckily, some do go to good homes like ours :) :wave:

Ax

We have a P@H bunny too - Hoops. Whilst we have since given homes to lots of rescue buns we wouldn't be without her. If we hadn't fallen in love with Hoops in P@H that say then we would never have found this forum, adopted rescue bunnies, made lots of friends or become fosterers. Sometimes things happen for a reason :)

I don't think it's P@H in particular, just the breeding and sale of animals in general. Being a large chain it's easy to incriminate them and worse when they make mistakes about welfare and care.

I don't think it's P@H in particular, just the breeding and sale of animals in general. Being a large chain it's easy to incriminate them and worse when they make mistakes about welfare and care.

I agree with Thea. To keep it in perspective they ARE trying to take steps forwards. They may only be little steps, I know, but at least they're moving in the right direction. It's a VERY long road to stopping pet shops from selling baby bunnies :( And they DO have lots of FAB toys etc. :D

I agree that pets at home have come on a long way from a few years back. They do now stock great bunny toys and their advice leaflets about rabbits seem pretty good as well as working with the RWF to improve hutch sizes.

The thing thats annoying me now is their new adoption idea, it doesn't seem to have been thought through properly at all. And we are now seeing stories on here about these "adoptions" going wrong:(

I think you only have to sift through a few of the bad stories on here to understand why a lot of people don't like them. Have a look and step onto the enlightened side :lol:

Noticed a few negative points bout pets at home? a lot of ppl seem to not like it? new bunny owner of two little adorable buns! alfie n bobby!

Hey, don't feel bad...I'm sure most of us have bought animals from pet shops at some point.

There is something that concerns me a little about your post though...are Bobby and Alfie both boys? If so, did P@H advise you that they will probably fight when they reach sexual maturity?

Hey, don't feel bad...I'm sure most of us have bought animals from pet shops at some point.

There is something that concerns me a little about your post though...are Bobby and Alfie both boys? If so, did P@H advise you that they will probably fight when they reach sexual maturity?

Beat me to it!! My thoughts exactly, its all well and good them getting on now (assuming they are males :shock:), but it may not stay that way. I know of a pair of brothers that nearly killed each other when they reached maturity, even when they were neutered.:(

Last edited:
My rabbits are from P@H, I hate to see them in there so got them from there to get them out of there (its an odd logic I know). Our store went through a lot of information before letting us take the rabbits home and had a check list of things they had to tell us before taking them home, so they were quite thorough, although they could still do better as they mentioned nothing about vaccinations or neutering or anything like that, which I think they should do.

They are not very good at their sexing, as they sold us a boy and a girl instead of two boys. Which I don't mind in the slightest to be honest, as I wanted a boy and a girl in the first place and they wouldn't sell me a boy and a girl intentionally.

P@H aren't perfect by any means, but they are the nearest petshop to us by miles and some of the toys are very cool, treated my buns the the carrot tree yesterday!!

oh thanks i dont feel too bad now! well yeah iv been really worried and read loads of bad things about two males but hen spole to some people who have said they have really close males so thought id give it a go, although i am abit worried bout the future! today they were sat cudlled up chewin on the same piece of straw! ha...im hopin to move them from house rabbits to a large double hutch nad run though in a few weeks and will be worried about leaving them unsupervised? shall i maybe see if someone on here wants to sawp him for a female before bobby gets too settled? or should i persevere as it might be they get on great like others iv heard of? help what should i do!

If you have both of them neutered NOW, then there is a good chance that they will continue to co-exist happily throughout their lives. I have a pair of buns like that.....two boys who have been together since they were tiny , neutered early as soon as it was possible, and they have always gotten along GREAT!:D :D Left unneutered, as soon as they reach maturity and the testosterone kicks in, you will probably have BIG problems!!!;)

can they be neutred so young though i thought i would have to wait months!do yours have a close bond and were they similar ages to mine when u introduced?

Mine were together from a very young age. They were neutered very soon after their balls dropped....they cannot be neutered before they drop down. If both of your boys have theirs now, I would get them both neutered ASAP and then I think they will be FINE together when they are grown!:D My two boys have an EXTREMELY close bond....they are constantly cuddled up together, eating together, grooming each other, etc. Usually by 12 weeks or so boys can be neutered. My boys went to the vet together, and remained together at the vets before and after their surgery, and then remained together at home whilst they healed. They never needed to be separated.:D

:wave: both Ron and Ginny are from P@H - like most people we did not know any better, but now we do.

Our local P@H are fantastic regarding giving information. We were advised to get them both vacinated and gave us contact details for the local vets. We were also advised to get them both done.

They told us what type of food was the best for them..... can not knock them. We also disagree with the rehoming programme and I have had words regarding the buns not having enough hay, but they were quick to rectify that. They also keep Buns and pggies separately.

I know by shopping there I am supporting the whole live animals thing, but it is alot cheaper to go there than to buy online.

aw that sounds great, iv been so worried by all the conflicting opinions on here about male male relationships, but ill defo get htem done asap, take them together and see if they can heal. What do u think of this, they both have cages in the kitchen, i let them out individually then when i ma around together. they both have a bit of a run then love to go in each others cage, eat each others food then settle together in one of the cages.They even eat from the same bown sometimes? its sooo cute. Alfie does mither booby a lot but he doesnt seem to mind.Also aflie like digs on him? and nips but it musnt hurt him as he just lies and relaxes???? crazy buns!

I think the behaviour youre describing is hormones and hes getting a bit fruity! Maybe if the younger bun had as many hormones, he wouldnt stand for the diggin and nibbling! The older one definately wants doing asap and if the youngest is too young, I'd personally still have the older one done as they arent yet living together full time.

I think the fact that you are now in a situation thats is causing you a bit of worry highlights the reason I dont like P@H selling rabbits... did they say 2 males would need castrating asap? Given the choice I would always go for different sex pairs, both neutered, which is the advice P@H should be giving.... maybe if P@H insist on selling rabbits they should sell one, then wait to see vet proof of neutering before selling a 2nd????

Dont feel too bad, youre not the only person to do this, and its good you've looked for advice now, some people dont and its the rescues that have to pick up the pieces when it goes horribly wrong or theres an unexpected litter.

Goood luck.

Back