• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can i ask,how many of you have your bunnies microchipped please??

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
I have just read on ebay a description of yet another hutch which is almost brand new due to the rabbit running away,what happens to all these bunnies that run away?Has anyone ever seen a rabbit out on the loose whilst out walking??I have only ever found a guinea pig and spent three hours trying to catch it,which i did eventually and was able to reunite with its owner,but it got me thinking i want to get my buns microchipped.How many of you have had your buns done??I wouldnt get my 9 1/2 year old done but Norman and Beatrix definately,but i think it is only for cats and dogs,is it??:shock:

My Ben was a stray that i adopted from rescue centre near me. I hope i have things pretty secure so that they won't escape !:D

Often they get handed in to Rescues. One of my ex-Rescues was a "stray", & I have fostered a few strays found on a road in leeds before.

The thing is, the found ones are lucky. They could so easily get attacked by a fox, cat or dog. If your bun can escape, it might be an idea to get a lock.

None of mine are micro-chipped - I never intended then to get too far away from me!

Floss and Bournville came ready micro chipped because the RSPCA(Wirral) do it automatically.

I wouldn't get mine microchipped, purely because I don't think they would survive if they ever escaped :cry: as we have resident foxes that visit our garden regularly :evil:

I was amazed at how many stray rabbits are picked up every year. You think of dogs and cats as being stray, but not usually rabbits.

I was amazed at how many stray rabbits are picked up every year. You think of dogs and cats as being stray, but not usually rabbits.

Is it standard procedure to take them to be "scanned" for a chip? I know last year there was no facilty here to scan a stray dog we found!

ill get mine done when Alvin figures out how to open the front door... until then neither of mine are...

I thought about of but am unsure whether vets etc test rabbits if they are found. I would hope that mine are safe and can't get out but if they did I'm not sure they would last long enough to be found there are a few cats around here that take an avid interest in my buns

Helen x

I have just read on ebay a description of yet another hutch which is almost brand new due to the rabbit running away,what happens to all these bunnies that run away?Has anyone ever seen a rabbit out on the loose whilst out walking??I have only ever found a guinea pig and spent three hours trying to catch it,which i did eventually and was able to reunite with its owner,but it got me thinking i want to get my buns microchipped.How many of you have had your buns done??I wouldnt get my 9 1/2 year old done but Norman and Beatrix definately,but i think it is only for cats and dogs,is it??:shock:

I actually found microchipping on ebay for bout 12-14 quid, depending on wether you go to them or they come to you, they bring a form for registering the chip with them, so i would imagine most vets would do it, personally, even though blue is a house rabbit. i would still get him chipped as 'you never know'........ but that's just me.:D

even though blue is a house rabbit. i would still get him chipped as 'you never know'........ but that's just me

And me.

Accidents do happen - doors get left open accidentally, burglars (by definition) are not the kind of people to shut doors after them... Any extra chance of getting Muppet returned is all good, as far as I'm concerned.

In 10 years I personally have found two lost pet rabbits, one I kept and one we found the owner of.

My last female was a stray. Most of the bunnis in my local spca are strays. :( My vet does microchip, he and I had a lengthy discussion about it. However at the moment the police or spca don't scan bunnies so I'm not sure its worth it.

i am going on a micro-chipping course on sunday (for work)...the list says dogs, cats, rabbits and ferrets that can be chipped on the course. But i have heard of tortoises being chipped too.

neither my rabbits, or ferrets are micro-chipped yet. But hopefully after sunday theu will be :lol:

dog wardens, vets, charities, dog groomers may have somebody qualified/trained to micro-chip

However at the moment the police or spca don't scan bunnies so I'm not sure its worth it.

I dont think it's that consistent - some rescues do, some dont. But I dont see that as a reason to not get rabbits chipped - the more it becomes standard, the more they will be scanned as standard.

Most of the bunnis in my local spca are strays
I wonder how many genuinely escaped or got loose, and how many were set "free" :rolleyes:

I kind of want to...even though my rabbits have never gotten out of their cages and when I let them out they don't seem to keen on leaving the garden (I once decided to try taking Zakura for a "walk" and she ended up going slowly up the driveway before suddenly turning around and run back home as fast as she could:lol:)
But I am worried at how many people will even bother checking for a chip in a rabbit....
Sasuke and Aroma are tattooed for show-purposes, but only Sasuke would be able to be tracked by it. (They would at least be able to find out who his breeder was, and since I bought him directly of the breeders it might be possible for him to find his way back that way.) Zakura has no ID whatsoever.. (Somehow I imagine she'll be hard to catch too:shock: I can hardly even catch her in her own hutch, not to mention the run:roll:)

As a vet practice we've had 4 stray rabbits in perhaps the last 6 months. One was taken by one of our nurses, one is now my Jessica, one we rehomed to a good client, sadly the fourth died. We did scan every one when they arrived but none were chipped.

Back