• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ears!

Bluefox

Warren Scout
Ok i found something out today that i didn't know, but i'm not going to tell you all what it is yet, i'm going to test all your bunny knowledge.............. :D:D

Ok here goes............................ (AND NO GOOGLING IT!!)

Why do rabbits have big ears???

Get them thinking caps on, and remember no google or internet help :p:p

Predator detection and helps with heat loss. Oh and of course communication between other rabbits! :)

Rabbits use their ears for heat regulation so divert more blood to them when hot and blood away from them when they are cold.

For wiggling at the boys???

2007_0211Image0018.jpg

Ok, i'll tell you all the full story now........
Last night i noticed that Blue's ears were warm.......So i did the google why are my bunnies ears warm, and how to check their temperature and all that...... and this came up from Yahoo Answers......

Why do bunnie's have big ears?

This sounds like the beginning of a corny joke. However, the real reason is this: because they can't breathe through their mouths, believe it or not.

That means that they can't regulate their body temperature, as dogs and other mammals (like us humans) do by "panting". Panting is a very good way of cooling the body down after vigourous exercise.

So, to cool themselves down, rabbits have big ears which they can pump blood into, and that helps cool down their body temperature. They kind of work like radiators in cars.

Animals which live in hot climates, such as elephants, often have big ears for the same reason, whilst animals that live in colder climates tend to have smaller ears.

Desert foxes have whopping great ears compared to their European cousins.
9 months ago
Source(s):
Biology lessons at school.

So what do we all think to that then hmmmm?? :lol:

Back